List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Two Questions: Bell, and Filename
From:       "Alan M. Sherkow" <alsherko () EXECPC ! COM>
Date:       1997-08-30 18:41:23

At 08:04 PM 8/29/97 -0400, you wrote:
>DNordlund wrote:

>> >Tom,
>> >
>> >    I have absolutely no problem with the character constant ... for
>> >maintenance work (a very mute point here), it may be easier to decipher
>> >the code with the variable assignment first and then using the variable
>> >itself with the put statement.
>> >
>> >Anthony.
>> >

>> There have been a number of suggestions of how to produce an audible alert
>> when a batch job finishes (I believe the original question had to do with
>> UNIX platform).  Many of the suggestions involved trying to PUT an ascii or
>> hex 07 to the log file.  This will not sound the 'bell', it simply puts a
>> 'non printable' character into the log file.
>>
>> In order to produce a sound the 'bell' character must be sent to the
>> console device.  I haven't been succesful in figuring out how to do that in
>> Win95 (or UNIX) yet.
>>
>> I have tried using the CALL SOUND(freq,duration) approach, but haven't
>> been able to produce an audible sound. Maybe someone else will have more
>> success.
>>

>Dan,
>
>    Try something like the following which does make a sound under UNIX:
>
>    data _null_;
>         call sound (100, 200);
>    run;
>
>Anthony.

Anthony, Tom, Dan
  Works with 6.12 on Windows95 also:

    data _null_;
         call sound (100, 200);
    run;

Though to me, "call sound(523,320);" sounds better.

al

| Alan M. Sherkow                     Voice: (414)332-3062 |
| I/S Management Strategies, Ltd.     Fax:   (414)332-8771 |
| 4942 N. Hollywood Avenue                                 |
| Whitefish Bay, WI   53217-5935                           |