List:       sas-l
Subject:    Quoted comma delimited lists using macro or datastep tranwrd
From:       Roger Deangelis <deangel () HORIZSYS ! COM>
Date:       1996-09-30 21:07:09

I hope I am not beating a dead horse, but the new macro facilities allow
easy quoting and comma delimiting.

 /* Suppose you have the macro assignment  */

 %let areas=A1 B2 C3 D4;

 /*

 and you want to create the quoted comma delimited string

      "A1","B2","C3","D4"

 */

This will do it:

 %let temp = %tranwrd(&areas,%str( ),",");
 %let areas = "&temp";

 %put areas= &areas;

You need the following macro ( or hardcode tranword ) see Macoe Enhancements
or Jeff Polzins papers.

%MACRO TRANWRD(ARG1,ARG2,ARG3)/des=" autocall macro function tranwrd.sas ";

%SYSFUNC(TRANWRD(&ARG1,&ARG2,&ARG3))

%MEND;