List:       sapdb-general
Subject:    Re: MaxDB backups
From:       Jared Still <jkstill () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-12-23 19:21:45

Thanks for looking at this Tilo.

More comments inline:

On 12/23/05, Heinrich, Tilo <tilo.heinrich@sap.com> wrote:

> Can not open file 'E:\sapdb\BOO\db\backups\io\backint.output'.
> (System error 32; The process cannot access the file because it is being
> used by another process.)

This was due to backint.exe still running in the background.  It was
not killed when the backup failed, and I had to do so manually
before the next backup attempt.

> I guess we need to look into the inheritance of file handles between DBM
> Server, Backint for MaxDB and child processes of Backint for MaxDB once
> more, as it seems that a killed Backint for MaxDB can still keep a file
> inaccessible.

This is probably the probably I mentioned earlier in this post:  backint
was not killed.

In regards to the files that are overwritten: perhaps a job ID (PID?) could
be used as part of the file name.  That leaves the problem of cleaning up
old log files, but dealing with that is preferable to missing relevant data
in a log file that was overwritten.

Thank you for your help.

You're welcome.

Jared