List:       sapdb-general
Subject:    RE: BACKINT for SAPDB and BACKINT for Oracle
From:       "Heinrich, Tilo" <tilo.heinrich () sap ! com>
Date:       2005-01-25 12:25:02

Hello Andreas,

the environment variables BI_CALLER, BI_BACKUP and BI_REQUEST are indeed
part of the Backint for Oracle definition. The interface definition
states "In addition to the command line options, the interface also
supports some environment variables set by BRBACKUP or BRARCHIVE before
BACKINT is called." It does not say, that these variables are always set
(e.g. when Backint for Oracle is called manually) or that BI_CALLER is a
way of determining the current backup type (that is what BI_BACKUP was
invented for) or that the values of BI_CALLER are restricted to unset,
BRBACKUP, BRARCHIVE, BRRESTORE and BRRECOVER (it just states that the
last four values are the ones set by BRBACKUP and BRARCHIVE).

However, as arguably as IBM's interpretation of the Backint for Oracle
interface definition might be, you can force Backint for MaxDB to put
arbitrary values for BI_CALLER into the environment before Backint for
Oracle is called. This can be done with the help of option "BI_CALLER
VALUE:..." in Backint for MaxDB's configuration file (see also
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/maxdb/en/91/24b97d483411d5992500508b6b8b11/fram
eset.htm ,please note that there is currently a typo in that version of
the MaxDB documentation - it must be "BI_CALLER VALUE:" not
"BI_CALLER_VALUE:").

Best regards,
Tilo Heinrich
SAP Labs Berlin