List:       sapdb-general
Subject:    AW: case insensitive unique constraint
From:       "Zabach, Elke" <elke.zabach () sap ! com>
Date:       2004-11-26 17:03:30

Maurice Marrink wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a table with a column name which has a unique constraint.
> This prevents the name 'whatever' to appear twice however it is still
> possible to insert a second record with a name 'Whatever'.
> Is it possible to make the unique constraint case insensitive?

With the current version this is not possible.
With 7.6 it will be possible to have a user-defined function (looking
like upper) and create an explicit UNIQUE INDEX onto <user_defined
function> (<your column>).

So far maybe another column may help, always updated/filled with
insert/update-trigger and the value UPPER(<your_column>) and having a
unique index created for it.

Elke
SAP Labs Berlin