List:       sapdb-general
Subject:    Comparing chr(Numeric Value) to NULL
From:       "Florian Schmitz" <fschmitz () acardo ! com>
Date:       2004-11-25 10:51:06

Hi there,

we've encoutered some strange behaviour with the chr()-Function and
NULL-Values today.
Let's assume this query :
->
select customerno from customer where customerno is not null
<-

"customerno" is Fixed 5,0
This query produces the results we've expected.

Whereas
->
select customerno from customer where chr(customerno) is not null
<-
produces no results. There should be the same results as above, in my
understanding.

Am I missing something in the documentation?

->
select name from customer where chr(name) is not null
<-
and
->
select name from customer where name is not null
<-

"name" is varchar(100). This one produces the expected results in both
variations.

Isn't it possible to compare a chr()ed numeric value to null?

/me is confused.

Flo