List:       sapdb-general
Subject:    Re: odbc driver under *nix
From:       Sven_Köhler <skoehler () upb ! de>
Date:       2004-08-08 22:47:32

> "The use of the ODBC driver is currently not possible on platforms for which
> the standard UNICODE type WCHAR_T with four bytes is defined."
>
> I couldn't get the idea behind this statement in the docs. Does it means that
> you can not use ODBC for connecting to the MaxDB system running on *nix?
> Or that you can not connect with ODBC driver from a *nix environement? ( I
> wonder how and why one should try to connect to db in *nix with M$ driver?)

Install unixODBC and try the ODBC driver with it. it may work, it may
crash. PHP can be linked against unixODBC too.

ODBC is not a driver, it's an API. unixODBC is the implementation for
Linux and other UNIX-like systems. The unixODBC-developers told me, that
everything should just work finde, although the MaxDB ODBC seems to use
UCS2 instead of UCS4.

I'm going to do some tests with unixODBC+MaxDB ODBC Driver and a
Unicode-database. I hope it works too.