List:       sapdb-general
Subject:    RE: Performance problem after upgrading to 7.5.0.8
From:       "Mensing, Joerg" <joerg.mensing () sap ! com>
Date:       2004-03-31 16:31:39

Hi,
i would check the parameter 'USE_COROUTINES' in your parameter file.
With release 7.5 the default for coroutines usage should be YES, but in case the
system do not support a valid 'getcontext()' routines (as some Linux supplied glibc does....)
or if the parameter file says 'NO' we switch to use 'Threads for Tasks'. We like to use
the 'getcontext()/makecontext()/swapcontext()' interface to get rid of our own hard to maintain
assembler code for coroutine switching.....
'USE_COROUTINES=NO' means each task in the kernel runs on its own thread, which increases
dispatch overhead dramatically. You can check this also by looking at the number of
'clone processes'...

Without coroutines the database uses
a) much more resources
b) is slower on dispatching
but c) allows C++ exception coding, which is not working in combination with coroutines...

If you do not need all those user tasks configured to run in parallel, a good hint is to
reduce the number of concurrent tasks by reducing 'MAXUSERTASKS' parameter. Especially if
each task runs in its own thread this is a must...

CU
jrg