List:       sapdb-general
Subject:    Re: MaxDB 7.5.0.8 - xserver on Windows - DNS blocking all clients
From:       Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <edson.richter () mgrinformatica ! com ! br>
Date:       2004-03-30 16:56:39

May be I'm wrong, and maybe I have this latency and never noticed, but
our database connections are almost instantaneous... I have two
programmers working here in Linux machines accessing a default install
of a Win2K server (without -F option) using this configuration
(/etc/hosts with info about SapDB server name in each workstation, and
%WINDIR%\system\drivers\etc\hosts for fake workstations name in the
server), and a click in button "test connection" (using JDBC interface)
shows times of 10millis, sometimes less (using
System.currentTimeMillis() to measure), to get connected...

Just to check: you is using a file named just "hosts" (without quotes
and the ".sam" extension that some windows have)? I think you have
something wrong configured, because the "localhost" fail you have
mentioned. You can "ping" your server? How many time this takes? And the
server, can ping the workstations? What is the timing?

Best regards,

Edson Richter