List:       sapdb-general
Subject:    SapDB Development environment on RedHat 8.0
From:       Jan_Hlavatý <Jan.Hlavaty () code ! cz>
Date:       2002-12-28 17:31:20

Hi,

I've been trying to setup development environment on Linux/RedHat 8.0
machine, but had no luck:

- When trying to build dev env from CVS source, compilation dies with
perl complaining about not being able to find "lcmake.pm". There is no
such thing in sources/on my system/on CPAN and it is not listed in any
requirements. Is it something that failed to build?
There also were tons of different warnings - how do you expect to find
bugs between all these warnings you might consider "harmless"?
#pragma to disable some warnings obviously didnt work...
Better way to get rid of the warnings should be fixing the code?

- When trying to install the binary package
sapdb-devtools-linux-i386-30176.tgz , I had great trouble with it
detecting Python path - there is Python 2.2 in RedHat 8.0 and
installation tries to verify Python path by looking for "config.h" which
does not exist. Anyway, I don't get the difference between "python path"
and "python include path" as used in the installation perl script, as
"python path" seems to be set inside "include" directory anyway, so they
seem to be the same?
If that is the case, why bother with "python path" if its not used?
Python also is not in a single tree on RedHat, but is scattered round
the system...

- Instructions at http://www.sapdb.org/develop/dev_linux.htm seem to be
obsolete, as they refer to installsources.pl script which is neither in
latest source nor anywhere else. Without it, it's not clear to me how to
  setup the environment.

Could anyone responsible for development environment please update it
and the documentation so that it works on some non-ancient Linux
versions, like RedHat 8.0? Fixes should be relatively trivial...
I can help with it by testing it and maybe also some fixes...

Jan