List:       sapdb-general
Subject:    Re: ODBC and bugs
From:       Flemming Frandsen <dion () swamp ! dk>
Date:       2001-11-30 20:17:43

"JUNG, Christian" wrote:

> Do you test before making a release?

Well, my guess is that there are not many tests run on the things that
SAP R/3 doesn't use, that's why DBD::SAP_DB is so bad and probably also
why the ODBC interface isn't the least buggy one around (however, it's
much, much less defective than other interfaces)

> I've sent a mail to this mailing-list, but no one answered.

I'm sorry, but that's the way it the world works, sometimes other people
don't want to or don't have the time to help you, go and take a look at
my own attempts on getting some feedback on my bughunting in
DBD::SAP_DB.

> I think that the DBMS SAPDB won't have a glory future, if such errors still
> remain in it.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you, for over a year I've been fighting
with DBD::SAP_DB to get it to stop segfaulting my apache server, the
database itself is very nice as far as I can see and it has all the
features that I need from a database, but the interfaces seem to be
defective to an alarming degree.

I need to recompile the odbc interface from source (the binary fails in
connect) to make it work with DBD::ODBC (which works near-flawlessly
after that, btw)

> Please fix those anoying bugs.

This will not get you anywhere, testing and providing the developers
with all the data you can does, turn on tracing in odbc (AFAIR there is
an option to do that in the odbc interface in windows) and send it to
the list, remember that the developer that is responsible for the odbc
interface might not have Access 2000 and he may not care that it doesn't
work, handing him all the data he needs to fix the bug means that the
effort on his part is reduced so much that he doesn't need to care about
Access 2000, but rather that a certain function doesn't work correctly.

> Maybe it is possible to release beta-versions
> of the ODBC-driver. The people need them now!

Yes!!! You are so right, we *need* uptodate sources and nightly builds
of everything, the current bi-monthly release schedule precludes outside
developers from helping with the bugs.

--
 Regards Flemming Frandsen aka. Dion/Swamp http://dion.swamp.dk