List:       samba-vms
Subject:    Announce: FRONTPORT 1.0  - Yet Another UN*X to VMS Porting Library!
From:       "John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw () qsl ! net>
Date:       2000-10-15 22:48:55

Another library for porting UN*X or LINUX programs to OpenVMS is now
available.

This is a result of my work in getting SAMBA 2.0.6 to run on OpenVMS.

It can be downloaded from:

http://eisner.decus.org/~malmberg/frontport/

It will be required for my upcoming release of SAMBA-VMS (2.0.6) that I am
working on packaging up.

This porting library handles:

Unix filenames that would not be legal on VMS ODS-2 even after translation.

fcntl() locking.

crypt() that will return a VMS password hash.

mapping of "/" and "/dev/mumble to VMS logical names.

mapping of UN*X UID 0 to a specified VMS UIC.

Other routines not present in the DEC C RTL.

A start at LINUX readline() emulation.

And a standard disclaimer: This is released under the GPL, no support or
warrentee offered.

Send bug reports and other comments to wb8tyw@qsl.network (make the obvious
fix)

-John