List:       samba-vms
Subject:    Re: Running SMBClient on OpenVMS 7.1 on Alpha with UCX 4.1
From:       Eckart Meyer <Eckart.Meyer () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-10-09 10:55:31

K T Wan schrieb:

> Dear All,
>
>    As I'm new to OpenVMS, it would be much appreciated if some experts can
> show me
> how to set up a samba client on a Alph running OpenVMS 7.1 with UCX 4.1.
>
>    Let's say I've a samba server running on a Linux system with domain ABC
> and
> I want to allow a OpenVMS user,say newbie, to be able to write and copy
> files from
> the samba drive after login ?!
>
>    I already got the binary package and had it uncompressed.  What to
> proceed next ?!
> Just allow the user to start smbclient with domain and login name ?  How to
> pass
> UNIX options i.e. domain name is ABC and user is newbie, in terms of OpenVMS
> syntax ?!
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Ken

Correct. Use smbclient. See docu and help for command line switches.
Invcoke smbclient either by "MCR SAMBA_EXE:SMBCLIENT ..." or define a
symbol

   $ smbclient :== $samba_exe:smbclient

and then simply type

   $ smbclient //server/share "-U" newbie ...

note that without double quotes DCL command line input get converted to
lowercase. Inside smbclient always use UNIX syntax for file
specification.

Eckart
iT-Ingenieurteam (www.it-ingenieurteam.de)
Braunschweig, Germany