List:       samba-vms
Subject:    RE: Connecting to \\SERVER\system by any user
From:       claude.marinier () dreo ! dnd ! ca (Marinier, M !  Claude, G ! )
Date:       2000-06-12 16:25:53

David,

When you do not mount "\\VMS\netuser" first, can you then mount
"\\VMS\cmarinier"? I assume that the answer is "No".

This means that access to other people's files (through the second
un-authenticated mount) is controlled only by VMS file permissions. This
level of access is similar to what you would get if you could login via
telnet (if netuser was allowed to telnet in) _but_ you specifically did
not grant telnet access.

This does not make the ability to mount without authentication any more
acceptable. The default configuration should be less permissive, i.e. the
default should "value users = %S".

Can this be done?

What other effects would this have?

--
Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675