List:       samba-vms
Subject:    RE: Connecting to \\SERVER\system by any user
From:       "John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw () qsl ! net>
Date:       2000-06-07 11:45:31

John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw@qsl.network wrote:

> Back to the original topic:  I tested and reproduce on my
> 2.0.6 port that a client logged into a non-existant account
> has the same access to the SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]
> account as the user had when logged in locally.

A mis-type up there, it should be non-privileged user account.  Non-existant
accounts can not connect unless the share has been explicitly set up for
Guest Access.

BTW: With plain text passwords disabled on the NT Client, the SAMBA setup
must have a valid GUEST account defined, or you are not able to connect.

It seems that NT does it's initial connection as GUEST, and if that fails
will not go through the authentication sequence with the real user
credentials.

-John
wb8tyw@qsl.network