List:       samba-vms
Subject:    RE: Samba and VMS 7.2
From:       "John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw () qsl ! net>
Date:       1999-11-22 15:39:34

Oliver Laing  <Oliver.Laing#laing.de> wrote:

Please never post anything but plain text to a mailing list, or to any
recipiant that you do not know can accept it.  HTML or other MIME gives the
digest mode indigestion it spits out pages of unreadable junk.

>HELP!
>
>I have worked with Samba 1.9xx for some time under VMS 7.1. Upon =
>upgrading to VMS 7.2, I got crashes which always showed SMBD_PCxx_xxx as =
>the active process and as active image [SAMBA.BIN.ALPHA]SMBD.EXE. I went =
>back to 7.1.
>
>This weekend, I installed 7.2-1, which contains TCP/IP 5.0A-10; =
>unfortunately, the same result. Any ideas before I scrap a complete =
>weekend?

The only thing in the SAMBA code that could remotely cause a SYSTEM crash in
SMBD is the code that changes the effective USERNAME and UIC.  This is
running in KERNEL mode, and must be linked against SYS.STB for the specific
version of OpenVMS you are running.

After an upgrade, you must relink SAMBA.  Specifically SMBD.

I have not tried this myself, but would expect that the Image Activator
should refuse to start up the image due to the mismatch.

If that is not the case, then I would recommend having Compaq analyze the
Crash Dump.

Since this is already Monday, and I just received it, I guess this weekend
is scrapped.

-John

A note to Eckart Meyer.  In my variant I put the CMKRNL code in a separate
shared image, that is called by LIB$FIND_IMAGE_SYMBOL(), and found by a
logical name.  The name of the image has both the VMS version and the
processor type in it.  The startup command procedure that is called at
SYSTEM startup checks for an image matching the system, and relinks if
needed.

The LIB$FIND_IMAGE_SYMBOL() removes the need to tightly bind the CRTL
wrapper to the SET USER code, allowing one main image to be distributed.