List:       samba-vms
Subject:    RE: URGENT request
From:       Eckart Meyer <meyer () ifn ! ing ! tu-bs ! de>
Date:       1998-07-08 10:27:49

| I am NOT the manager of this system so it is VERY important I hear of any
| security issues I should be concerned about. For example: are the passwords
| encrytped or "clear"?

	Due to the lack of a DES library, password encryption is not
	supported in the current release. However, it will probably be
	supported in future since the original Samba now comes with
	special DES source code. This means that today password can be
	seen on the LAN.

| I would also like to know who is using this package and if they like it?
| and, what are the alternatives?

	I have no statistics, but there are many, many users around the world.
	The alternative is Pathworks from Digital/Compaq, a commercial
	product. Samba is Freeware.

| We want Samba on VMS so that our apps can access the files which are on
| an NT box.

	Samba is at first a server, so Clients can access files which are
	on the VMS side. However, there is a program SMBCLIENT which is
	to be used just like a FTP-Client. This way you can access files
	on a NT box from VMS.
	As far as I know, Pathworks does not have something like this.

	Eckart

Eckart Meyer                                     Address:  Schleinitzstr.  22
Institute for Communications Technology                    38092 Braunschweig
Technical University of Braunschweig                                  Germany
                                                 Phone:      +49 531 391 2454
E-Mail:   meyer@ifn.ing.tu-bs.de                 FAX:        +49 531 391 5192
ICQ:      3745252