List:       samba-vms
Subject:    Progress report of Port. SAMBA + OpenCMU IP.
From:       LNUSSAT.JMALMBER () eds ! com
Date:       1998-06-12 18:19:24

I have been working on getting SAMBA running on OpenVMS/VAX 5.5-2 and CMU IP

The main reason for this post is to let people know that the port is practical
and that at least one person is working on it.

The summary of the target platform is:
OpenVMS/VAX 5.5-2
DEC C 6.0 RTL (AACRTL060 KIT)
OpenCMUIP 6.6 + K patches.
NETLIB 020 j
SOCKETSHR 09d
GNU Libiberty 2.8.1.

I have been working off of the SAMBA 1_9_16 P2 sources.

The build environment is the same as above using GCC 2.5.4, GCC 1.4.2 and
mostly the POSIX 2.0 include files for the system include files.

The NMBD and NMBD LOOKUP programs have been running well for over a week now of
light testing.

The network communications seems to be working well.  I can transfer files both
ways using the W95 GUI.

I am still working on resolving some issues with the SMBD server, and have not
yet tested the SMBD CLIENT.

I have downloaded more recent versions of GCC and SAMBA but have not merged in
the minor changes that I have made to get these to work.

I am using SYS$HASH_PASSWORD instead of HPWD.C.

I am not sure how to integrate the SMBD with OpenCMU process to have OpenCMU IP
launch it when a client attempts access.  If someone could drop me some hints,
they would be appreciated.

-John
E-Mail: lnussat.jmalmber@GMEDS.COM
Ax.25: WB8TYW@K4HRY.#midtn.tn.usa.na