List:       samba-technical
Subject:    Re: Client timeout 2
From:       github () samba ! org
Date:       2015-10-31 0:40:19

New comment by Gazzonyx on Samba Github repository

https://github.com/samba-team/samba/pull/11#issuecomment-152680398
Comment:
I'm going to close this PR due to bit rot and rebase.  I had an interesting \
conversation with Chris Hertel and Jose Rivera last night in Minneapolis; I need to \
read up on SMB internals a bit before I'm comfortable with this patch.  Chris \
described how the timeout mechanism on the Windows side works a bit, from legacy to \
current as he could best remember and it's frightful.

Which brings me to my philosophical question for anyone that cares to chime in; do we \
care if the Samba client side truly emulates a Windows client or only that it \
interfaces well enough and doesn't do anything "clever" when talking to non-Windows \
hosts?  To be clear, this is mostly academic since more modern SMB dialects aren't \
nearly as scary, as I understand it, on both ends of the wire.  This is more about \
future changes than this particular patch set.