List:       samba-idlc
Subject:    Re: SIDLC Goals? (fwd)
From:       Elrond <elrond () samba ! org>
Date:       2000-08-31 17:35:54

The first goal of sidlc was to write an IDL-to-C-converter,
that would generate C-code for samba (Samba IDL Compiler).
But we're free to extend the gaol to whatever we like.

And we currently extending it more in the direction of a
dce/rpc toolkit with most of the useful support stuff.
(Luke, maybe should think up a nice name for this and then
ask Andrew to create a cvs-repos for it and move sidlc
into that [I think, cvs-dirs can be moved and still have
all the history and stuff])

If you want it to generate C++ code or want it to support
also ONC/RPC, then go for that and watch out, that we make
stuff general enough, so you can add this.

I'm not a big C++-writer, so you wont expect me to write
any/much C++ stuff in this project. Nor do I know much
about ONC (except for using it in form of NFS).

Ahh... ONC:

Since I don't know anything about ONC/RPC, I've to ask, if
there are any chances for conflicts in an IDL for DCE/RPC
and ONC/RPC. I can't easily think of such, but I just have
to ask.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 12:01:03PM +0100, David Allan Finch wrote:
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > tell me more / confirm: you want a compiler that does ONC/RPC as well as
> > DCE/RPC, auto-detecting the service?

[... ONC vs. DCE ...]

> One of the problems I have at the moment is that there
> is a vast amount of ideas flowing around my head. I
> seem to currently have a 'dream' and it is starting
> to take shape.

Yep. I've some specific ideas currently too. And I don't
get to code them. ;)

> What do other want out of this project? I get
> the impression that some of you wish to
> implement other DCE apps.
[...]

Well, the primary goal was/is to provide stuff for samba
and nt domains. But Luke and me alwas have tried to write
stuff the way, that it will be possible to write external
apps. One thing, that Luke intends to write, is exchange
for Unix.

    Elrond