List:       samba-docs
Subject:    Re: help with Samba.
From:       David Collier-Brown <davecb () canada ! sun ! com>
Date:       2001-01-30 14:18:26

joan wrote:
> I have a client that had Samba installed by someone no longer available
> for help. The current installation never worked

	This is actually the list for discussing documentation
	changes, so I've redirected this to the general list.

	However, perhaps I can help:  samba will either appear
	in /etc/indetd.conf or in "rc" files. It will be
	referred to as either samba, "smbd" or "nmbd".

	If it's in inetd.conf, comment it out, then find the
	processes with ps and stop them with the kill command.

	If not, it will be in a start-up file somewhere in
	/etc: try
		egrep 'samba|smbd' /etc/rc*/*
	to see if you can find the file, and comment
	out the lines where it appears, then find the
	processes and kill them.

	This will stop the program: find the binaries and
	log file with
		find / -name '*smbd*' -print
	and then delete them.

--dave
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb@canada.sun.com