List:       samba-docs
Subject:    [Fwd: Re: MAX_OPEN_FILES]
From:       David Collier-Brown <David.Collier-Brown () canada ! sun ! com>
Date:       2000-11-03 15:07:44

A usefull item for the FAQ

--dave
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: MAX_OPEN_FILES
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 10:24:20 +0100
From: Daniel Petzen <Daniel.ingenspam.Petzen@emw.ericsson.se>
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.smb

Adam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please forgive a newbie (relatively) question.
>
> I've been having some problems with ClearCase in a mixed Solaris/NT
> environment.  I've dug up a paper on the Rational Support website, and
> it suggests the problem may lie with Samba.
>
> The solution they propose involves recopiling and reinstalling Samba
> with the MAX_OPEN_FILES parameter set to a higher value.

  That is valid for old samba versions. Nowadays it's a global option
(max open files = ...) in smb.conf. It defaults to 10 000 files so you
probably don't have to modify that one.

> Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?

  I did manage quite fine without any modification, but as the number of
ClearCase users increased I adjusted the maximum number of open files
per process by adding "ulimit -n 4096" in the startup script (/bin/sh)
for samba.

  It also turns out that the ClearCase users uses a huge amount of
filehandles and locks (100-500 per user normally) which strains the
amount
of shared memory. In Solaris the maximum amount of shared memory
defaults to
1 MB which can be to little. Adjust the amount of shared memory by
adding
"set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=10000000" to /etc/system (and reboot). Modify
the amount of shared memory samba tries to allocate with "shared mem
size"
(it defaults to 1 MB).

  /// Daniel Petzén