List:       samba-docs
Subject:    Re: Romaing profiles on 2.0.6
From:       Richard Sharpe <sharpe () ns ! aus ! com>
Date:       2000-03-27 4:27:02

Hi,

At 07:44 AM 3/24/00 -0500, David Collier-Brown - Sun Canada wrote:
>I wrote:
>| This is my proposed change to Section 6.6.1, page 194ff, or
>| http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch06_06.html
>
>| <P> Samba versions previous to 2.0.6 allowed Win9X machines to store
>| profiles in separate shares, but that prevented NT clients from
>| doing a "net use /home", so that is no longer done.</P>
>
>	This sounds wrong: Richard Sharpe wrote...

Indeed. The issue has never been Windows NT clients. They use the
appropriate MS RPCs and can make full use of both the logon home and logon
path parameters to manage both "net use /home" as well as profiles.

However, Win9X clients, which use the NetUserGetInfo LanMan request, have a
problem. If you look at the response (for example in the RAP document that
Microsoft released), you will see that there is only a home path returned
in this response.

>From about Samba 2.0.4 and up to Samba 2.0.5a, the behaviour of Samba was:

   When a NetUserGetInfo request was received, return the value of the
   "logon path" parameter (ie, lp_logon_path).

However, this broke "net use /home" for Win9X clients, but allowed profiles
to be placed [well] outside the home share. For example, one could do:

   logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

However, since Win9X clients also use the NetUserGetInfo call when a "net
use /home" is performed, this broke "net use /home".

After tracing what was going on with both "net use /home" and access to
profiles with Ethereal, and doing some experimentation, I discovered that:

1. The behaviour of Samba 2.0.6 was correct in that it returned the value
   of "logon home" (or lp_logon_home) when it received a NetUserGetInfo
   request.

2. This means that you cannot place user profiles outside the home share,
   but, because of a bug or feature in Win9X clients, you can place them in
   a sub-directory of the home share.

   Using "logon home = \\%L\%U\profiles" for example, allows profiles to go
   in the directory /home/fred/profiles on Fred's home share server when
   Fred logs in and out, while at the same time allowing 'net use /home'
   to work. This last part works because the client code removes the /profiles
   when sending the TCONX to connect to the home share.

HTH

>				 Under Win9X, the logon home
>parameter is the one you want, and there is no way to have your profiles
>anywhere except in the home share or as sub-directory of the home share.
>This is because Win9X does things that means that the logon home parameter
>is used both when you do a net use /home and when profiles are wanted.
>
>	which I echo in :
>
>| <P>NT clients use the "logon path" variable to indicate the place
>| where the profiles are stored, and "logon home" to indicate the user's
>| home directory.  Win9X uses logon path for both, stripping of
subdirectories
>| to get the home directory.</P>
>
>	So: what **REALLY** was the previous behavior, and what
>	did it prevent?
>
>--dave
>--
>David Collier-Brown in Boston
>Phone: (781) 442-0734, Room BUR03-3632

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe@ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course