List:       samba
Subject:    easy core dump -- bug in samba 2.2.1a
From:       Eric Devolder <edevolder () eft ! be>
Date:       2001-08-07 10:01:06

Hi there, I think I found a bug in samba rel 2.2.1a (I haven't tested with
earlier versions).

This bug is very easy to reproduce. On a domain environment, from a Win2K
workstation, run the following command (printed here with NT output):

-++++-
C:\> NET USER /DOMAIN
The request will be processed at a domain controller for domain EFT_UNIX.

System error 1726 has occurred.

The remote procedure call failed.

C:\>
-++++-

It should normally give the list of users on the domain. Unfortunately, it
ends with an error message at the client side (as described above), and to a
segmentation violation at the samba side (and a core dump). You should be
able to reproduce it easily. Anyway, if you don't, I can send you gdb
backtraces and any other information regarding this problem.

Please note that the same command but with an existing user name after USER
completes successfully.

This bug is not critical, as the dying process is not the mother one, but a
child and get respawned a the very next RPC.

Regards,

Eric Devolder

Eric DEVOLDER <mailto:edevolder@eft.be>
E.F.T. Consultants s.a.
av. Plasky 157 / 6 - 1030 Brussels - Belgium
Phone +32 (0)2 736.89.11 - Fax +32 (0)2 736.88.53
URL http://www.eft.be

Note: This message and its attachements have been checked for viruses by InterScan VirusWall V3.4