List:       samba
Subject:    Re: Handling international characters
From:       monyo () samba ! gr ! jp (Samba-JP TAKAHASHI Motonobu)
Date:       2001-06-28 18:37:01

Zoltan Perhacs wrote:
>It seems to me that Samba handles international characters differently
>at different places.
>
>(eg. in the log, in browse.dat, when authenticating, etc.).
>So I experienced browsing errors and difficulties when I'm tried to
>use international characters in workgroup names.

Yes, this browsing problem also occured in Japanese environment.
Developing Samba Japanese Edition, we, Samba Users Group Japan could
not help adjusting and moving the unix_to_dos/dos_to_unix() call to
proper places.

>Is this a known problem and may be solved in the near future ?

In point of modifying Samba codes to support international characters,
this problem is critical,  but unfortunately it is not for the people
using ASCII characters only.

If Samba 3.0 would use UCS-2 as its internal code, a part of this
problem would be solved, but NOT all.

-----
TAKAHASHI Motonobu                    mailto:monyo@samba.gr.jp
Samba Users Group Japan               http://www.samba.gr.jp/