List:       samba
Subject:    Multiple workgroups, multiple subnets.
From:       "Theodore J. Soldatos" <theodore () eexi ! gr>
Date:       2001-06-01 12:17:52

Hi,

Yes, i know that this subject has been around before and i have read all
postings, plus documents. But i can't come to a conclusion. Here is the
situation:

We have two domains and many workgroups. We have Win9x and few W2K and
WinNT clients. We have a Samba 2.2.0 installation running on Linux,
member of one of the domains, configured as WINS server. All clients are
configured from DHCP to have the Samba installation as primary WINS. The
second SAMBA installation is on another site, over a WAN link and acts
as PDC and WINS for that site. The two Samba installations are
configured to sync browse lists, and it works fine, clients from the
remote site can "see" the members of the local *domain* and vice-versa.

The remote site is simple. One subnet, one domain, one PDC, one WINS to
rule them all. The problem is with the local (central) site, which has
many VLANs and broadcast isolated subnets. The W2K and NT clients are
OK, they are members of the domain and can see each other and any Samba
servers members of the domain. But the Win9x clients are configured in
many workgroups. They are registering correctly in the Samba WINS, and
if i smbclient -L the Samba WINS i can see a list of all workgroups. But
of course in the wins.dat file, the workgroups are registered with IP
255.255.255.255, #00 and #1e only. So, the workgroups do not appear in
Network Neighbourhood in Win9x clients at all, they do appear in W2K and
WinNT clients but they are empty as the client cannot find the DMB. Of
cource all clients are able to see all workgroups that they have an LMB
in their subnet (usually, their own workgroup). Of cource, searching
from Windows for a specific computer name is successfull, as all the
clients are correctly registering to WINS.

The final question that i need an answer for, is the following: Is it
possible to rectify this situation (make all workgroups visible in all
clients in Network Neighboorhood) without enabling broadcasts between
the VLANs ? And how ?

My understanding so far is that this is not possible without major
changes in Samba code. Am i right ? The only other answer that i could
think of is 42.

Thanks in advance,

T.

--
Theodore=J.=Soldatos=_\_="There=is=always=a=bug=somewhere",=said==HAL=to=the==
=  theodore@eexi.gr =_/_==Ultimate=Programmer,=and=turned=off=the=air=supply.=