List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 561
From:       samba () anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1995-06-06 4:06:58

			    SAMBA Digest 561

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: SAMBA digest 558
	by "Jon. Hallett" <helpdesk@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
  2)
	by mike@thorcom.com (Michael J Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC)
  3) Re: Packet Counts?
	by Brian Hartsfield <bh@ddi.digital.net>
  4) samba vs WinNT
	by sboulter@winternet.com
  5) Re: SMB encrypted passwords
	by beverly@datacube.com (Beverly Brown)
  6) NetManage Chameleon incompatible with Samba?
	by tjfs@tadpole.co.uk (Tim Steele)

Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 10:34:15 +0100 (BST)
From: "Jon. Hallett" <helpdesk@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: SAMBA digest 558

Andrew.Tridgell writes:
> 5) can use a samba or NT server as a "password server"

Does this mean we'll be able to set up Windows 95 using a Samba server as
a "Domain Controller" which authorises (and restricts) logins to Windows?

I sure hope so! :)

--
Julian Field, Help Desk                Email: helpdesk@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Electronics and Computer Science       Tel:   01703 594494

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 10:30:07 +0100
From: mike@thorcom.com (Michael J Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC)
To: samba@anu.edu.au

unsubscribe samba-digest
unsubscribe samba
--
Michael J Tubby  B.Sc.  G8TIC
Technical Director, Thorcom Systems Limited

Tel: 01905 756700
Fax: 01905 755777
Mobile: 0973 225144
Internet: mike@thorcom.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 07:46:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Hartsfield <bh@ddi.digital.net>
To: Andrew.Tridgell@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: Packet Counts?

On Sun, 4 Jun 1995, Andrew.Tridgell wrote:

> As someone else pointed out, the problem is how to detect when a client
> is down.
>
> I think the most reliable method will be to set "keepalive = 30". If a
> client responds to a SMB keepalive packet then you know it can't be
> too dead. This should be much more reliable than a ping.

Keepalive packets do work becuase the network layer continues to work.
It is only the application layer that dies so even though the machine is
sitting there and not doing anything, it still answers keepalive packets.
(that wonderful Microsoft Engineering)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 09:34:55 -0500
From: sboulter@winternet.com
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: samba vs WinNT

I'm currently using an older RS/6000, model 320H with 64 M of RAM, as a
file/print/app server for a 30-node WfWg net--thanks to samba.  Anybody out
there have any ideas on whether or not this machine would be a faster server
than some WinNT box?  Or what kind of hardware config I'd need for an NT box
to be a faster server?  Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Sean Boulter
612/450-4444
sboulter@winternet.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Jun 95 11:58:41 EDT
From: beverly@datacube.com (Beverly Brown)
To: "Andrew.Tridgell" <tridge@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>, samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: SMB encrypted passwords

Will there be a way to synchronize Unix passwords and Samba passwords? Is
there some way I can take a Unix password file and generate the samba
password file?

Beverly Brown					beverly@datacube.com
Datacube Inc.					Phone:(508)777-4200 x3092
300 Rosewood Drive				Fax:  (508)750-0938
Danvers, MA 01923-4505				#include <std/disclaimer.h>

Date: Mon, 5 Jun 95 18:24:19 BST
From: tjfs@tadpole.co.uk (Tim Steele)
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: NetManage Chameleon incompatible with Samba?

I have some colleagues who are running Samba successfully with
Microsoft's TCP/IP stack.  I have Chameleon on my WfWg 3.11 PC (so
that I can use dialup PPP sometimes) and it doesn't work.

Has anyone gotten this combination to work?

Tim