List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 557
From:       samba () anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1995-06-04 3:56:19

			    SAMBA Digest 557

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: SAMBA digest 555
	by djg@tas.com (Dave Gesswein)

Date: Sat, 03 Jun 1995 12:41:52 EDT
From: djg@tas.com (Dave Gesswein)
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: SAMBA digest 555

> From: bakkerjg@cip11.mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de (Joerg Bakker)
> Subject: Problem: Too many files open
>
> I have a problem with Samba 1.8.05 on SunOS 4.1.3.5 as File and printserver
> and WfW as client. Connecting and using Print-services is usually no Problem,
> except when starting programs in WfW that need many open files.

I don't run Suns here but checked with somebody who does but doesn't run
samba. I think you are running into the maximum per process open file limit
on the Sun.  The default soft limit is 64. In the 1.9.13 samba version there
seems to be code to call setrlimit to change the maximum # of open files
which you set with MAX_OPEN_FILES in local.h.  I was told that the
version of sunos you are running has a stdio bug which won't allow more than
127 so don't set MAX_OPEN_FILES to greater than that.  See if MAX_OPEN_FILES
define is in your version of samba, if not either add a call to setrlimit
or update to the current version.

> From: autostyl@onramp.i2k.com (Autostyle Plastics)
> Subject: HP-UX and smbd
>

> I was wondering if anyone out there could help answer some questions about
> running Samba on a HP box?

I am running samba 1.9.13 version on HP 700 hp-ux 9.01.  I had problems running
it from inetd but it is working fine as a daemon.  I can send you my config
files if you want them.