List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 487
From:       samba () anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1995-04-27 9:13:19

			    SAMBA Digest 487

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: smbfs
	by h9207884@falbala.wu-wien.ac.at (Andreas Kostyrka ( yacc ))
  2) Virtual Terminal Service: VTP-protocol specs needed
	by "C.A. Lademann" <cal@zls.com>
  3) Bug report for 1.9.13alpha14.
	by "C. R. Oldham" <cro@socrates.ed.asu.edu>
  4) win95 irritation
	by wade.maxfield@ctelcom.com (Wade Maxfield)
  5) Re: samba 1.9.13, FreeBSD + TCP_NODELAY
	by michael butler <imb@asstdc.scgt.oz.au>
  6) Virtual Terminal Service
	by "Leslie Mikesell" <les@mcs.com>

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 95 13:40:46 MES
From: h9207884@falbala.wu-wien.ac.at (Andreas Kostyrka ( yacc ))
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: smbfs

> Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 15:37:45 -0700
> From: jhuang@geology.ubc.ca (Jian Huang)
> To: samba@anu.edu.au
> Subject: Question: smbfs
>
> I have a question about the smbfs. Does it only work for linux? If so how much efford would
> it require to adapt it to other file systems, such as ufs (solaris)?
Hmmm, I don't use, so take my informations with a grain of salt. I believe smbfs is a kernel
patch/module, so porting it should not really be feasible. As I said, you you've got a Linux box
around, you could always smb-mount it on the linuxbox and export it via NFS :(

Andreas

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 14:08:04 +0200 (MESZ)
From: "C.A. Lademann" <cal@zls.com>
To: samba@sco
Subject: Virtual Terminal Service: VTP-protocol specs needed

As I wrote yesterday, I started to implement a vtp-service into samba.
It is quite easy and an experimental setup (starting a shell on a pseudo-
terminal for each vtp-session) seems to -er, well- work. That is, as long
as the data-transfer-rate from the host to the pc is not too high, every-
thing goes fine. If there is some kind of handshake-condition on the pc-side,
the pc stops receiving. I guess, there is some clever handling defined in
the vtp-protocol. If someone could tell me, where to find it? :-)).

Thanks, cal.

Christian A. Lademann                             EMail: <cal@zls.com>
--------------------- speaking from, not for: ------------------------
    ZLS Software GmbH                         Tel.:  (+49) 6195 900500
     D-65779 Kelkheim                         Fax:   (+49) 6195 900600

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 08:26:50 -0700 (MST)
From: "C. R. Oldham" <cro@socrates.ed.asu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <samba@anugpo.anu.edu.au>
Subject: Bug report for 1.9.13alpha14.

Greetings,

Installed 1.9.13alpha14 this morning.  Server is SparcServer 4/470, SunOS
4.1.3.  Clients are OS/2 Warp with Lan Requester version 4.  I noticed
two things right off the bat:

Accessing files that start with a dot (.) is still a little flaky.  I can
"type" and use 4OS/2's "list" as well as the gnu util cp to get at the
file.  4OS/2 filename completion, however, does not work, and nor does
"copy" or "xcopy".

It is better though.  In previous versions I could not access these files
at all with the OS/2 port of Emacs.  Now, under Emacs, filename
completion as well as all file access seems to work fine.

Now for the really nasty one.  I have mentioned in the past that the WPS
Drives objects for Samba mounts don't work--they fail with "Extended
Attributes Not Supported".  Well, now things are worse.  Under NFS the
drives objects work--sort of, but they create a file in the root of the
mount called "wp root. sf" containing information for the WPS--icon
positions, view settings, and so forth.  If this file exists and I
attempt to open the icon for the mount--boom--Trap 000E.

Now, if this file does not exist and I open the icon for the mount I get
a window with one generic document icon in it, with no title, and a
"size" of over 1 gigabyte.

I didn't attempt to open that icon. :->

Thanks,

--
| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham | North Central Association               |
| cro@socrates.ed.asu.edu or| Commission on Schools                   |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 15:23:46 GMT
From: wade.maxfield@ctelcom.com (Wade Maxfield)
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: win95 irritation

Hi, just an FYI

    I'm running Win95 for hours at a time.  I am using almost the latest
(1.9.13a8).

    My problem is that win95 forgets about the samba machine if I
haven't used it for a while, and refuses to recover.

    Sometimes rebooting once works, sometimes multiple reboots are
required.

    This problem isn't happening with samba 1.8.05, or with NT 3.51, or
with MSClient for DOS.

    The network connections are robust.  (Ping and telnet work
flawlessly, and I've created a host entry in win95 directory for my
machine to see if it would help.  It did help with ping an telnet but
not lanmanager.)

    I am deep in a design phase with parts of the innards TR-TSY-303
Remote Digital Terminal for digital telephone switches, and don't have
time to figure out why this is happening.  I also might not be smart
enough.

Thanks!
wade

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 03:34:00 +1000 (EST)
From: michael butler <imb@asstdc.scgt.oz.au>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: samba 1.9.13, FreeBSD + TCP_NODELAY

In order to get the TCP_NODELAY option for FreeBSD and hence a tad more
speed, one needs to add a one-liner to "includes.h" under the relevant
system dependency #define ..

#include <netinet/tcp.h>

Works now :-)

	michael

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 16:57:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Leslie Mikesell" <les@mcs.com>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Cc: "C.A. Lademann"@mcs.com, <cal@zls.com>
Subject: Virtual Terminal Service

> Has anybody ever thought of implementing a virtual terminal service
> over netbios with samba as a server on the unix-side?

I asked about it on this list a long time ago...

> I have just started to add some experimental code to samba, so samba
> starts up a getty, if a netbios-session is opened and the first
> message contains "vtp".

> I use TinyTERM and LanManager on the pc-side to connect to SCO-3.2v4.2.
> No other software is necessary on the pc.

Using the AT&T/NCR StarGroup software you can log in over netbios
using MS-kermit on the PC side.  This is a side effect of using
their OSI transport layer and the fact that the unix and netbios
names work the same way.  It would be really nice to be able to
do this kermit ->netbios ->tcp ->login as well, because it is not
always easy to get a kermit program to talk to the network directly
especially when other operations are using tcp/ip.  Kermit is
especially handy for scripted operations as well as terminal
emulation and file transfers.

> As I do not really know, what kind of protocol follows after the "vtp",
> can anybody tell me, where to find some documentation? I have already
> looked at the rfc's.
>
> If someone already implemented such a service, please tell me. If not,
> I will write it (if I get all the informations I need :-)).

I don't really know if there is any standard for this, but the
source for ms-kermit should be available if that would help.

Les Mikesell
  les@mcs.com