List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 323
From:       samba () anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1995-01-28 19:10:40

			    SAMBA Digest 323

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) FreeBSD 2.0/Samba/passwords?
	by jemiller@netcom.com (John Edward Miller)

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 12:26:58 -0800 (PST)
From: jemiller@netcom.com (John Edward Miller)
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: FreeBSD 2.0/Samba/passwords?

The environment: my test lab.  3 NT 3.5 Server boxes (one 486 sometimes
becomes Netware 3.1x), 2 WFWg 3.11 boxes, and a 486 that right now is
running FreeBSD 2.0.  My Unix background is pretty thin.  I had Samba
1.6 up and running under Linux for a while; I'm now attempting to build
1.9.02 for FreeBSD 2.0.

The problem: Uncomment the FreeBSD option and make.  Create generic
smb.conf.  Fine, it runs.  NET VIEW from NT 3.5 Server box shows shares.
So far so good.  Attempt to NET USE a drive.  Bad username/password pair.
Logins/passwords identical from NT to FreeBSD box.  Try from WFWg.  Same
thing.  Try from SMBCLIENT on the FreeBSD box.  Same thing.

Is anyone using Samba on FreeBSD 2.0?  It uses a master.passwd file and
I'd assume that shadow-password support should be included but there's no
shadow.h to be found anywhere (nor any references to getpwanam() or
pwdauth() in any of the FreeBSD header files I can grep).  Should I
#define NOGETPWANAM (I'm not at the box now so may get the name wrong)
to bring in the Samba-supplied getpwanam() in password.c?

BTW: maybe I should wait until it's really RUNNING to say this, but
the feature set is looking pretty tremendous these days.

John.