List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 319
From:       samba () anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1995-01-26 19:10:21

			    SAMBA Digest 319

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: browseing problem...
	by terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
  2) Re: browseing problem...
	by "Andrew.Tridgell" <tridge@cs.anu.edu.au>
  3) PC crashing and re-connecting to server
	by MDGrosen@spectron.COM
  4) Re: Unix talk <--> WFWG chat
	by mark@tripleg.com.au
  5) Re: Unix talk <--> WFWG chat
	by "Andrew.Tridgell" <tridge@cs.anu.edu.au>
  6) Re: DHCP patches
	by Jeanette Pauline Middelink <middelin@polyware.iaf.nl>

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 14:11:51 MST
From: terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: browseing problem...

Coranth Gryphon <shaman@mv.MV.COM> writes:
> Hi. I am running Samba 1.9.01 on both FreeBSD 2.0R and SunOS 4.1.3
> using WfWG3.11/MS-TCP and NT3.5 clients.
>
> On both sets of clients, I can see the FreeBSD samba server in
> the browse list, but I cannot see the SunOS server.
>
> On the NT machine, I have to type "NET USE X: \\host\share" from
> the command prompt, and cannot get anything using FileManager.
>
> On the WfWG machine, I can type "\\host" in FileManager
> and it will list the shares, but the "host" listing dissappears
> as soon as the connection is made.
>
> Note that the connection works and is stable in all combinations.

There is probably a byte order dependency in the advertisement.

Intel (386/486/586) and SParc (Sun) processers have different
byte orders.  All objects larger than a character (8 bits) need
to be converted to and from host byte order before they are used/sent.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 09:57:22 +1100
From: "Andrew.Tridgell" <tridge@cs.anu.edu.au>
To: terry@cs.weber.edu

   There is probably a byte order dependency in the advertisement.

   Intel (386/486/586) and SParc (Sun) processers have different
   byte orders.  All objects larger than a character (8 bits) need
   to be converted to and from host byte order before they are used/sent.

Unlikely. Samba goes to great lengths to get the byte order right. It
has to, as the byte order is different in different parts of a packet,
and is different for the nmb and smb protocols!

The protocols must have been designed by committee :-)

Anyway, the problem is almost certainly a config problem with
nmbd. Read BROWSING.txt carefully and look at the logs produced by
nmbd for hints.

Anyone out there want to expand BROWSING.txt to contain more useful
hints? How about "how to diagnose the problem with nmbd" ?

You can almost always diagnose the problem by using nmbd -L and nmbd
-M. Sometimes you need smbclient -L as well. I've done this many times
with people on the other side of the world who report problems,
assuming I can guess their broadcast address :-)

Cheers,

Andrew

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 16:47:01 -0800
From: MDGrosen@spectron.COM
To: samba@cscgpo.anu.edu.au
Subject: PC crashing and re-connecting to server

We are a software house doing device-driver level programming under Windows.
Needless to say, our PCs crash frequently. If we restart the PC quickly
and attempt to reconnect to a Sun with a smbd server, this reconnection can
take a long time and usually eventually times out. This appears to be due to
the continued existence of the original smbd process.

Is there a way to prevent this without always disconnecting quickly under
normal conditions? I think the latter is what the deadtime parameter is for,
but I am not clear on this. I am still running 1.8.05, but if it is better
in 1.9.X I will upgrade.

Mark

Mark D. Grosen     MDGrosen@spectron.com
Spectron Microsystems, Inc.
320 Storke Road
Goleta, CA 93117
805 968-5100       805 968-9770 (FAX)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 14:30:23 +1100 (EDT)
From: mark@tripleg.com.au
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: Unix talk <--> WFWG chat

Hi,

Some poeple have mentioned that "chat" and "talk" use different protocols,
ie talk uses UDP but chat uses TCP and an underlying protocol whose TLA
I have forgotten ;)...

I was wondering if anyone thinks that a "chat" program for Unix - ie, not
exactly talkd but perhaps to modify talkd to allow "chat" clients as well,
or a wholly new program - if anyone sees any technical problems with that?

Regards
Mark

--

bored bored bored

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 16:19:29 +1100
From: "Andrew.Tridgell" <tridge@cs.anu.edu.au>
To: mark@tripleg.com.au

   Some poeple have mentioned that "chat" and "talk" use different protocols,
   ie talk uses UDP but chat uses TCP and an underlying protocol whose TLA
   I have forgotten ;)...

   I was wondering if anyone thinks that a "chat" program for Unix - ie, not
   exactly talkd but perhaps to modify talkd to allow "chat" clients as well,
   or a wholly new program - if anyone sees any technical problems with that?

It's perfectly possible as far as I know.

I went as far as sniffing a "chat" session between two WfWg PCs, and
stared at the protocol for a few minutes. I didn't manage to work it
out, but I suspect that was mainly due to a lack of perseverence :-)

>From memory, it was tcp 139, and used the same transport as SMB, but
didn't have the SMB marker. The data was carried on a NBT session
(just like SMB uses), and had the usual "session request" preamble.

You could probably modify receive_smb() and send_smb() in util.c
pretty easily to receive and send these packets, as the packet length
is encoded in the same way.

If someone wants to have a go at this, I could send them the text of
the sniff.

Andrew

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:21:37 +0100 (MET)
From: Jeanette Pauline Middelink <middelin@polyware.iaf.nl>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: DHCP patches

Hi All,

> Last, if the requests match but the target host does not configure
> properly, you probably have a routing table that does not route the
> response packets out onto the same net where the request was received.
Very important in any piece of software :)

> Pauline has stated that the address 255.255.255.255 must be routable
> back onto the ethernet, so make sure that your default route will do
> this.  She has suggested that another route for network 255.255.0.0
> can be added to teh routing tables, but I was unable to get this to
> work.
I use an 'route add -net 255.255.255.0 dev eth0' for this.
It's imperative you use a -net here, otherwise it sees the
255.255.255.0 as a *host* entry and will not use it for the
broadcast. (obviously, since the addresses mismatch!)

Oh! I received fixes for the IPLEASE time problem, and also
one for making DHCP beeing more supportive of clients on
other subnets, using bootp gateways... DHCP now seems to work
on quite a vararity of machines!

    Met vriendelijke groet,
        Pauline Middelink
| Jeanette Pauline Middelink   | email    : middelin@polyware.iaf.nl |
| Boterkorfhoek 34             | zakelijk : 053-776184               |
| 7546 JA  Enschede, Holland   | prive    : 053-771147               |