List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 316
From:       samba () anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1995-01-25 7:10:19

			    SAMBA Digest 316

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: The plotter Problem
	by David Allan Finch <sarum@darling.monosys.com>
  2) NT 3.5 as password server - solved
	by Patrick Dockhorn <pado@hpeaso40.bbn.hp.com>
  3) nmbd as WINS ?
	by rudy.benz@gtri.gatech.edu (Rudy Benz)
  4) Re: Samba performance
	by <HANNU@estib.ee>
  5) samba-1.9.00 - FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 missing "pathconf"
	by michael squires <mikes@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu>
  6) NT 3.5 & Password Server
	by Patrick Dockhorn <pado@hpeaso40.bbn.hp.com>
  7) new WfW PCs cannot see samba servers
	by wyman@peabody.plk.af.mil (Florence Wyman)

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 10:06:18 GMT
From: David Allan Finch <sarum@darling.monosys.com>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: The plotter Problem

|> > The problem is in the serial driver of Linux: once all data has been
|> > transfered from the "application program" (i.e. smbd or cat) to the
|> > driver's buffer, the driver flushes the data out to the serial port without
|> > looking after handshake.... That means that even if the plotter is
|> > signalling 'not ready' to Linux, Linux sends the rest of the hpgl file
|> > anyhow. The plotter's buffer overflows, you loose a lot of data.. et voila:
|> > the result you described!
|>
|> No the Linux driver honours all the handshakes properly. You may need to
|> change your filter to force ixon/ixoff, or cts/rts and also check the cable
|> is full. If the plotter needs other handshake protocols you will need to
|> add them in software.

If you are using a lpd derived print spooler you will have to set the
ms flag in your /etc/printcap. ms uses the stty notation,
for example from the printcap man page

	------8<-----

     PRINTCAP(5)               FILE FORMATS                PRINTCAP(5)

     Alternatively,  the ms field can be used to specify modes to be set
     and cleared.  These modes are specified as  stty(1V)  modes; any
     mode supported by stty may be specified, except for the baud rate
     which must be specified with the br  field.   This permits  modes
     not supported by the older terminal interface described in
     ttcompat(4M) to be set or cleared. Thus, to set the  terminal
     port to which the printer is attached to even parity, TAB
     expansion, no NEWLINE to RETURN/LINEFEED  translation, and
     RTS/CTS flow control enabled, do:

          :ms=evenp,-tabs,nl,crtscts:

     Sun Release 4.1   Last change: 24 February 1988

	------8<-----

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 15:44:27 +0100 (MEZ)
From: Patrick Dockhorn <pado@hpeaso40.bbn.hp.com>
Subject: NT 3.5 as password server - solved

I received a number of email messages indicating that other people had the
same problem, therefore I post the solution here.

To have NT validate your access rights, use the following settings
in the smb.conf file:

; use my NT box as a password server
password server = HPEASO00
security = SERVER

As indicated by Andrew, the password server has to be the NetBIOS name
of the NT box, which does not have to be the IP name (type nbtstat -N
at the command prompt in NT to find out about the NetBIOS name of your
machine).

The main problem I faced had to do with the "hosts allow" section -
I inserted some DEBUG-statements in access.c and found that you
*have* to provide fully qualified hostnames here, i.e.

hosts allow = hpeaso00

wouldn't work (Denied access...), while

hosts allow = hpeaso00.bbn.hp.com

worked fine !

Now I am no longer asked for password when accessing samba shares -
great work Andrew !

Regards,
Patrick

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 09:46:44 -0500
From: rudy.benz@gtri.gatech.edu (Rudy Benz)
To: samba@cscgpo.anu.edu.au
Subject: nmbd as WINS ?

First off, I love samba, wonderful piece of work!

Second, could someone tell me if my setup is operating properly:

*NT 3.5 on subnet 1, member of QMB workgroup
* 3 wfwg 3.11 machines with mstcpip32a, all belonging to QMB workgroup on
subnet 2.
*samba 1.9.01 compiled w/ gcc on Solaris 2.3, running on subnet 2
started nmbd -D -S -d1, with lmhosts having:
0.0.0.0                    QMB G
#
130.207.230.255            QMB S
130.207.193.255            QMB S
#
littleone.gtri.gatech.edu  LITTLEONE
jaguar.gtri.gatech.edu     JAGUAR
wtong.gtri.gatech.edu      WUSHENGT
rudee.ee.gatech.edu        RUDEE
where RUDEE is the NT3.5 machine on subnet 1 and  the other three machines
are the wfwg3.11machines on subnet 2.
user=share.

 When i use the connect network drive with always browse selected, I only
see the NT 3.5 machine and the Samba server in the 'show shared directory
on:' area, both as members of QMB. The other QMB machines are never seen no
matter how long I try to browse.

 If I then explicitly put in one of the wfwg3.11 machines  in the path box,
I can see its shares, but the icon is different from the icons for the NT
3.5 and samba machines and they are not indicated as QMB workgroup machines.

 Is my setp operating properly. Why does nmbd not recognize the wfwg3.11
machines as members of QMB workgroup?

Thanks for any help,

Dr. Rudy Benz
Research Scientist II
**************************************
Georgia Tech Research Institute
Quantum Microstructures Branch
Electro-Optics,Environment and Materials Lab
Mail Code 0861
Atlanta, GA. 30332
**************************************
Voice: (404) 894-1884
FAX:   (404) 853-9882
E-mail: rudy.benz@gtri.gatech.edu

------------------------------

Date:          Tue, 24 Jan 1995 17:10:28
From: <HANNU@estib.ee>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: Samba performance

As the performance issues turned up again i did some quick testing
copying a 16MB file to and from samba servers with the following
configuration :

WfW3.11 client: 486DX2/66, 8MB
            netcard DLink De250 (ISA), IDE Disk (ISA), 8MB mem
Linux server (1.0.9), 386SX/16, 5MB
            netcard DLink, Samba 1.9.00, IDE Disk (ISA)
SUN SparcServer 5 (Solaris 2.3), network and disk whatever it came
            with, Samba 1.8.05

Server          Linux   SUN
----------------------------
Write speed     98      70
Read speed      98      444

I have not tuned either server, their settings are as they were when
i got them from nimbus. Both server machines have quit low load.

When i had freshly set up samba un sun I got write 197 kb/s and read
205 kb/s. WfW was then using De220 and its drivers and was a DX2/50
computer. I have also updated to MS TCP/IP32a since.

------------------------------
Hannu Krosing / hannu@estib.ee

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 11:43:13 -0500 (EST)
From: michael squires <mikes@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: samba-1.9.00 - FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 missing "pathconf"

I had to "#undef ENAMETOOLONG" to get 1.9.00 to compile under FreeBSD 1.1.5.1,
which is missing the POSIX function "pathconf".  I don't know what
ENAMETOOLONG does, and haven't had a chance to do any testing (yet), but
at leat 1.9.00 compiles and installs.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 19:21:19 +0100 (MEZ)
From: Patrick Dockhorn <pado@hpeaso40.bbn.hp.com>
Subject: NT 3.5 & Password Server

Oops, sorry, I just checked again and it seems that my
'password server' results in the guest account to be
used to browse my directories. I'm working on it...

Anybody have the getpwanam package for HPUX (if that's
available free of charge...)

regards,
patrick

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 11:54:27 -0700 (MST)
From: wyman@peabody.plk.af.mil (Florence Wyman)
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: new WfW PCs cannot see samba servers

Hello everyone,

I have been happly running samba on two of my workstations for quite some
time with 7 PC running Windows for Workgroups.  All was well....

Now we just got 3 PCs added to the net.  We loaded WfW on them, and they
can access all of the other PCs with no problem.  However none of the
new PC's can access the Unix boxes running samba!

I have added the Unix boxes IP address to the lmhost files, and numerous
ways of naming the connection \\brook\apps, \\123.456.78.1\apps, etc.
with no avail.

I have not loaded any TCP/IP stuff onto the PCs.  Question: do PCs have to
have TCP/IP running to access the samba servers?  I was under the impression
that samba would work with just the WfW protocol, NetBEUI.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Florence Wyman

Rockwell Power Systems