List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 310
From:       samba () anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1995-01-22 7:10:06

			    SAMBA Digest 310

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: mstcp32 performance
	by tom <tom@zapata.demon.co.uk>

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 1995 01:48:13 +1100
From: tom <tom@zapata.demon.co.uk>
To: samba@cscgpo.anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: mstcp32 performance

We're using MS TCP/IP, the Lanman DOS version and 3c509 cards at both ends.
Using samba on linux is much faster than WFWG at both ends for us.

We can run diskless machines of a linux box, however recently performance
has become unacceptable on the diskless machines. I've just posted to
comp.os.smb about this.

Briefly:
>After 2000 packets have been transmitted
>smbd stops taking up large slices of CPU (use top to see this effect)
>CPU utilisation drops drops from ¬60% to 4-10%,performance
>(throughput) drops significantly and ifconfig on eth0 starts to show
>dropped recieved packets.

Regards,

Tom Ward.