List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 1040
From:       samba () arvidsjaur ! anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1996-08-29 16:49:43

			    SAMBA Digest 1040

For information on unsubscribing and on what is appropriate to post to
this list see ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/lists/samba.txt

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Photo of Andrew
	by Erik Devriendt <de%t642_5@tisnix.te6.siemens.be>
  2) Re: Access 95 locking problems
	by "Armstrong, Scott" <armstron@nvl.army.mil>
  3) Connect from WFW 3.11 - With Novell
	by Thorvald Natvig <xeno@mix.hive.no>
  4) SMB packet structure
	by "V. Carpentier" <vincent@axis.fr>
  5) Printer control with smbclient?
	by Andrej Borsenkow <borsenkow.msk@sni.de>
  6) TFS Delivery Failure:
	by jbn@hk.owell.se
  7) Re: SAMBA People in Seattle Area
	by <camco.celestial.com!bill@celestial.com>
  8) Re: creation mask
	by Steve Fosdick <fosdicsj@aom.bt.co.uk>
  9) options for samba?
	by "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
 10) Re: SMB packet structure
	by Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <rask@kampsax.dtu.dk>
 11) Re: wfwg can't browse using certain IP addreses
	by Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <rask@kampsax.dtu.dk>
 12) Multiple workgroups?
	by Tuomo Pyhala <tupyhala@kauha.kauhajoki.fi>
 13) FW: SAMBA digest 1038
	by John H Terpstra <jht@aquasoft.com.au>
 14) Re: wfwg can't browse using certain IP addreses
	by Tim Villa - faculties <tim@ecel.uwa.edu.au>
 15) Re: translation issues when copying a dos file to unix and vice-versa
	by Peter Kelly <pkelly@omen.ets.net>
 16) Out of Office AutoReply: SAMBA digest 1036
	by Gary Kocemba <Gary_Kocemba@ATK.COM>

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 96 9:14:10 METDST
From: Erik Devriendt <de%t642_5@tisnix.te6.siemens.be>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Photo of Andrew

Hi Samba fellows,

We all know what a fine job Andrew has done by creating Samba.

Would't it be nice to have his picture published ? For example
on the SAMBA web site ?

Andrew, do you have a nice photo of yourself that could be published ?

-----------------
Erik Devriendt
de@te6.siemens.be
-----------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 06:03:41 -0400
From: "Armstrong, Scott" <armstron@nvl.army.mil>
To: "'samba@anu.edu.au'" <samba@anu.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Access 95 locking problems

I've encountered some interesting results lately with regards to MS'
client locking schemes which may help out. I don't know whether it will
help out with MS Access, but I was encountering sharing problems between
MS Exchange and Schedule+ when trying to use a private address book
stored on a Samba share. I tried all variations of Share Modes, Locking,
Strict Locking,... I ended up sniffing the transactions using the
Network Monitor from Systems Management Server while storing the address
book on an NT share and then on the Samba share. The only setting that
looked like it conflicted was the read-ahead/write-behind option induced
by the "Read Prediction" parameter of Samba. I disabled it and the
sharing problems went away. You might try this and see if it helps.

Scott

Scott Armstrong				In the days before volcanoes
Department of the Army			were invented, lava had to be
Night Vision and Electronic Sensors	hand carried down from the
AMSEL-RD-NV-TS				mountain and poured on the
10221 Burbeck Road, Suite 430		sleeping villagers.
Ft. Belvoir, VA 22060-5806		This took a great deal of
armstron@NVL.ARMY.MIL			time.
Voice (703) 704-1764, DSN 654-1764
Fax   (703) 704-1100, DSN 654-1100

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:37:52 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From: Thorvald Natvig <xeno@mix.hive.no>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Connect from WFW 3.11 - With Novell

Ok, I have a small problem..

Our school has set up all our machines with WFW 3.11 and Win95.
Unfortunately, they have just installed support for Novell net, no
support for the mircosoft net.

So, is there a cute, small program somewhere that enables me to use SMB
shares WITHOUT enabling M$-net?

Thorvald

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:45:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From: "V. Carpentier" <vincent@axis.fr>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: SMB packet structure

	Hi all,

Where can I find SMB packet specifications (fields, sizes, types, specific
values, etc...) ?
If somedy knows the "Exchange" structure too, I will be very happy.
The real question is:
	- I would like to create an Exchange server on Unix.
	  How to do that ? Is it possible to use samba for it ?

Thank you very much.

			   Vincent CARPENTIER
			     vincent@axis.fr
		C'est ce qui manque qui donne la raison d'etre.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:03:17 +0400 (MOW)
From: Andrej Borsenkow <borsenkow.msk@sni.de>
To: SAMBA list <samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
Subject: Printer control with smbclient?

Hi!

Have anybody tried the `queue' and `qinfo' commands of smbclient? I
wonder, wether they work at all. I tried them when connecting to WfW 3.11
disk or print share with the same result:

qinfo returns:

returned 10 bytes of parameters, 0 bytes of data, 0 records

and queue results in:

ERRSRV - ERRerror (Non-specific error code.) obtaining print queue

I would like to be able to control spool job from Unix (at least to cancel
it); but as I understand, I have to know its id (or what is it called)
first ;)

thanks in advance

Andrej Borsenkow 		Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow			Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk		E-Mail: borsenkow.msk@sni.de

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:30:56 +0100
From: jbn@hk.owell.se
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Cc: jbn@hk.owell.se
Subject: TFS Delivery Failure:

The following address could not be delivered
POSTMASTER @ OWELL-HK
POSTMASTER @ OWELL-HK
POSTMASTER @ OWELL-HK
POSTMASTER @ OWELL-HK

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 08:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: <camco.celestial.com!bill@celestial.com>
To: mweaver@netcom.com (Michael Weaver)
Cc: linux-list@ssc.com
Subject: Re: SAMBA People in Seattle Area

SAMBA/Linux people in Seattle.

Andrew, et al will be here at our offices tonight.  Directions can be
found on our site at http://www.celestial.com/directions.html (same
place as the Seattle Unix Group meetings).

Thinks will get started around 7pm and go until?

                 DIRECTIONS TO Celestial Systems, Inc.:
    Westbound I-90 from Bellevue        Eastbound I-90 from Seattle
 I-90 to Island Crest Exit           I-90 to Island Crest Exit
 Left at light                       Take 1st right
 Left at 2nd Light                   Take 1st right
                                     Take 1st Right onto 28th.
 Right into One Mercer Plaza Garage  Right into One Mercer Plaza Garage
 Take stairs down to S-100           Take stairs down to S-100

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts
to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to
be one of the facts that needs altering.
                -- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:54:29 +0100
From: Steve Fosdick <fosdicsj@aom.bt.co.uk>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: creation mask

James Murray <jaymez@creativeaccess.com.au> wrote:

> Using any text editors, files are created with correct user and
> group, but the creation mask is set as 764.

What I think is happenning here is that samba is mapping the
DOS archive bit into the user execute bit.  There is an option
to control this.  I don't remember which but it is documented
in the smb.conf man page.

--
Steve Fosdick                  Internet: fosdicsj@aom.bt.co.uk
Voice: +44 1473 642987         MSMAIL:   BTEA/BTLIP23/FOSDICSJ

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:27:19 PDT
From: "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: options for samba?

I noticed in 1.9.16p1 the -G and -C options for nmbd became
"obsolete".

I don't agree, it handy to be able to modify things quicly at
runtime rather than edit the smb.conf file...

Minimally, I found I've found setting the group name in nmbd
handy...I'd like a more extensive approach (like -xrm, to set
all X resources).  something like
	-conf " "
to set any configuration item...

marty		leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Member of the League for Programming Freedom (http://www.lpf.org)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
        Arthur C. Clarke, The Lost Worlds of 2001

------------------------------

Date: 28 Aug 96 18:52:48 +0100
From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <rask@kampsax.dtu.dk>
Subject: Re: SMB packet structure

On 28 Aug 1996 22:16 +1000 (+0900), V. Carpentier wrote to me:

> 	Hi all,

> Where can I find SMB packet specifications (fields, sizes, types, specific
> values, etc...) ?

<URL:ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/samba/smbinfo/>

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen       | E-mail: rask@kampsax.dtu.dk           |
| Amiga GNU CC README maintainer | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| Registered Phase5 developer    | "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC  |
| Keyboard error: <Ctrl> and <Alt> are stuck - press <Del> to continue   |

------------------------------

Date: 28 Aug 96 19:01:47 +0100
From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <rask@kampsax.dtu.dk>
Subject: Re: wfwg can't browse using certain IP addreses

On 28 Aug 1996 12:19 +1000 (+0900), 513 629-2437 wrote to me:

> i have wfwg trying to browse the network.  samba is setup as the brwose
> master (os level = 2) and is 1.9.15p8 on SCO 5.0.

> if i set the ip addess of the wfwg pc to .70. or .71, i cannot browse
> the network.  i get a network busy message on the pc.  i can howerver use
> the shares if type their names explicitly.

> now the strange part....  if i change the ip address to something else, say,
> 150 , then i can browse the netwrok just fine and everything works.
> no other changes to the pc or the samba server is made to get things
> working.

> any ideas on what is going on here!??

Incorrect netmasks and broadcast addresses. From the above, I'd guess
that .0 - .127 is on a different subnet from .128 - .255, with the
Samba server being on the latter.

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:20:29 +0300 (WET)
From: Tuomo Pyhala <tupyhala@kauha.kauhajoki.fi>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Multiple workgroups?

Hi everyone :)

I was wondering if it is possible to make samba appear in multiple
workgroups? We were unable to get win95 machine with different workgroup
then sambas to find samba as master browser, but immediately after
changing the workgroup everything worked fine.

- Tuomo

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:15:30 +1000
From: John H Terpstra <jht@aquasoft.com.au>
To: "'samba@samba.anu.edu.au'" <samba@samba.anu.edu.au>
Subject: FW: SAMBA digest 1038

John H Terpstra
Aquasoft Pty Ltd
PO Box 105, Miranda NSW 2228, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9524 4040
Fax:      +61 2 9540 4016
Have you ever contemplated a world upheld by integrity?
Whose laws would it obey? Would your God survive it?

----------
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 08:02:28 +0800 (WST)
From: Tim Villa - faculties <tim@ecel.uwa.edu.au>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Cc: frankb@eapi.com

> From: "Frank Brock, 513 629-2437" <frankb@eapi.com>
> Subject: wfwg can't browse using certain IP addreses
>
> i have wfwg trying to browse the network.  samba is setup as the brwose
> master (os level = 2) and is 1.9.15p8 on SCO 5.0.
>
> if i set the ip addess of the wfwg pc to .70. or .71, i cannot browse
> the network.  i get a network busy message on the pc.  i can howerver use
> the shares if type their names explicitly.
>
> now the strange part....  if i change the ip address to something else, say,
> 150 , then i can browse the netwrok just fine and everything works.
> no other changes to the pc or the samba server is made to get things
> working.

Check to ensure that these two IP's are named in your DNS.  Samba (in my
experience, I assume this is supposed to happen) won't serve an unnamed
machine.

Regards
Tim
--
Tim Villa                  Faculties of Economics & Commerce, Education and Law
Network/Systems officer        	            The University of Western Australia

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 00:31:35 -0400
From: Peter Kelly <pkelly@omen.ets.net>
To: Rick Heckman <rheckman@earthlink.net>
Cc: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: translation issues when copying a dos file to unix and vice-versa

In message <199608282244.PAA22818@armenia.it.earthlink.net>, Rick Heckman write
s:
> Not really a bug, and I'm sure there is an existing solution for this issue.
> I've scanned the docs provided in the release, but can't find anything about
> <NL> vs <CR-NL>.  As you know, DOS files are stored with <CR-NL> and when those
> files are copied over to a (mapped) unix file system, you end up with
> (unnecessary) ^M's at the end of each line.
>
> Is there a configuration variable or some other means to eliminate this?

Hi, a quick fix is ':%s /^M//' in vi while editing a file.

or you can try this script I found :

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -i
#
# Convert text files between Unix and MS-DOS file formats
#
# If this program is called with a name ends with '..dos', like 'todos',
# it will add ^M, otherwise it will strip them.
# Optionally a target format can be chosen with command line flags -u and -d.
#
# If no file names given the program reads stdin and writes on stdout.
#
# Michal Jaegermann - 2 April, 1994

($prog = $0 ) =~ s:.*/::;

$add = ($prog =~ /dos$/i) ? 1 : 0;

$use =
qq!Usage: $prog [-d] [-u] [file ...]
    -d  convert to MS-DOS text format
    -u  convert to Unix   text format
!;

while ($ARGV[0] =~ /^-/) {
    $opt = shift @ARGV;
    $add = 1, next if $opt =~ /^-d$/;
    $add = 0, next if $opt =~ /^-u$/;
    die "Unknown option $opt.\n$use";
}

die $use unless @ARGV || !-t;

if ($add) {
    while (<>) {
	s/([^\r])\n$/\1\r\n/o;
	print;
    }
}
else {
    while (<>) {
	s/\r+\n$/\n/o;
	s/\cZ//og;
	print;
    }
}

Hope this helps

--
Peter Kelly - pkelly@{ets.net}or{fcp.oypi.com}
PGP Public key: http://www.ets.net/pkelly/pgp.html

Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 00:31:43 -0500
From: Gary Kocemba <Gary_Kocemba@ATK.COM>
To: "'samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au'" <samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
Subject: Out of Office AutoReply: SAMBA digest 1036

I will be out of the office from August 26th thru Sept. 2nd. I will be
returning to the office on Tuesday Sept. 3rd.