List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 1024
From:       samba () arvidsjaur ! anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1996-08-13 16:34:59

			    SAMBA Digest 1024

For information on unsubscribing and on what is appropriate to post to
this list see ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/lists/samba.txt

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Membership of this mailing list?!?
	by Lars Lyshaug <lyshaugl@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
  2) samba : Unix printers
	by CBADET@aol.com
  3) Re: Release Cycle
	by Andrew Tridgell <tridge@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
  4) Faxing/Dial IN software for Linux/Samba/WFW's
	by Tim Boughen <timb@mincom.com>
  5) Several problems in nmbd and smbd...
	by Martin Kraemer <Martin.Kraemer@mch.sni.de>
  6) forcing an election
	by "Luke K.C. Leighton" <lkcl@pires.co.uk>
  7) Re: "real" DHCP server for Unix?
	by "J. Patrick Narkinsky" <patrick@cnu.edu>
  8) Network path not found
	by Chris Saldanha <chris@computerActive.on.ca>
  9) Re: Does Samba provide 'home' directories?
	by "Charles O. Shefflette" <shefflet@paragon-systems.com>
 10) Fix: File renaming bug
	by Jim Barry <Jim.Barry@ilp.com>
 11) NT cannot see Solaris 2.5
	by Feng Loh <fengl@mocomnz47.mocom.co.nz>

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:23:07 -0700
From: Lars Lyshaug <lyshaugl@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
To: samba@anu.edu.au

I know that I should know.....

- how to join this mailing list, and more about
  how it works.
- but some of you out there have found out, so
  will anyone drop me a line?!

Regards, Lars

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 03:31:53 -0400
From: CBADET@aol.com
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: samba : Unix printers

Hi !!

I'm using samba on SCO Unix Open Server 5.
I try to use Unix Printers from Windows 95 programs with samba, but i lost
some editions in the spooler. I don't know if it's a Samba problem or if my
smb.conf is wrong.
Does anybody have any experience about that ?

My smb.conf :

[printers]
path = /tmp
printcommand = lp -d %p %s ; rm %s
comment = all printers
browsable = no
printable = yes
public = yes
writable = no
create more = 0700

Thanx.
Christophe BADET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 18:10:10 +1000
From: Andrew Tridgell <tridge@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: Release Cycle

I can understand your concerns about alpha code and that fact that it
has been so long since the last major release.

Samba is going through a fairly major reorganisation, particularly for
the nmbd code, and I don't want to do a new major release until I
think it is stable enough for general use. Luckily 1.9.15p8 is working
very well for 99% of people so the long wait isn't as painful as it
might have been.

The slow progress is largely due to the fact that I have been working
hard on other projects (in particular AP/Linux).

I can assure you that progress is being made. I really hope to get the
backlog of patches and bug reports sent to samba-bugs dealt with
(mostly) by the time I leave for the SMB workshop on the 25th of this
month. Luckily there are several other people to help me :-)

Cheers, Andrew

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:41:04 GMT
From: Tim Boughen <timb@mincom.com>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Faxing/Dial IN software for Linux/Samba/WFW's

Can anyone assist/recommend software for Linux running Samba in a WFW's network
for

a)      dial-in access to a Linux box running Samba for access to files / email
        and other operating systems on the network

b)      faxing software for a Linux box running samba for PC's to access the
modem

The network has no Windows's NT servers.

MINCOM (PTY) LTD                         E-MAIL: timb@mincom.com
9 Autumn Street
RIVONIA 2128
PO BOX 55199
NORTHLANDS 2116                          PH:     +27 (011) 807 4750
JOHANNESBURG AFRICA                      FAX:    +27 (011) 807 4759

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 12:27:00 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Martin Kraemer <Martin.Kraemer@mch.sni.de>
To: samba-bugs@anu.edu.au (Samba Bug Reports)
Cc: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Several problems in nmbd and smbd...

Hi again,

I append a log because of a problem I have with one of the machines on
my network: this machine apparently runs Windows NT 3.51 and it fills
my log.nmb with repeated error messages of the kind
    No 0x1d name type in interpret_node_status()
plus a block showing the 10 received names that are sent by this
machine.

a) is this an error in nmbd or in WinNT?
b) can it be switched off?

Then there's more problems:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
18993 root     -25   10 98132K 10552K run   416:34  51.0% 19.92% nmbd
21081 root      14    0  2724K   948K sleep  28:28   0.0%  0.00% named

     UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY      TIME  COMD
    root 21081     1  0   07.Aug ?       28:29  named
    root 18993     1 54   09.Aug ?       416:56 /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd

c) nmbd keeps eating huge amounts of processor time plus memory. Look at
   the process lists above: named has been running two days longer than
   nmbd, has been doing many more tasks in this time (like repeatedly
   looking up the hosts that nmbd didn't cache but should) and has been
   using much less processor time. Then look at the memory: nmbd is
   using around 100 MB now! Incredible; I wish I had that much memory in
   my machine at home! The latter is certainly a memory leak. The former
   is due to the fact that in our network, there is a significant amount
   of broadcast traffic between the hundreds of Win/Win95/WinNT/Samba
   machines. And Samba receives and processes all of them, apparently,
   even those which are utterly useless for the Samba host (who has to
   deal with a single workgroup only). Can this overhead be reduced by
   providing a shortcut in the nmbd main loop for all those received
   packets which are uninteresting? (Or did I just not understand the
   concept here... In this case, I am seriously frightened about the
   forthcoming CIFS standard... We have only several hundred PCs here,
   but what happens if thousands or millions of PCs bring the internet
   to a grinding halt!)

d) In the output of a "smbclient -L" query, people use national
   characters (for their names). These characters usually are coded in
   the ibmpc code set because netbios was invented before unicode... In
   the example from the log file below, this is for instance:
    % smbclient -L RM400_AF_DY -U%
	    CTGQ0788             Willi K„hler, AF DY 2
   But in order to display the browse lists on a unix machine, this
   means that the equivalent of
    % smbclient -L RM400_AF_DY -U% | recode ibmpc:latin1
	    CTGQ0788             Willi Kähler, AF DY 2
   should be executed, resulting in the correct ISO8859.1 display of the
   names.

e) The same holds in the opposite direction. If I write in smb.conf:
    [Willi]
       comment = Willi Kähler, AF DY 2
       path = /home/willi/.WinRoot
       allow hosts = CTGQ0788
   then I expect the name "Kähler" to appear in the WfWg browse lists
   with the Umlauts.

Hope I didn't bother you with these problems, but especially the
performance problem is a serious problem for us.

Cheers,
    Martin

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
_____log_follows_____
deejai>...samba/log 25>  tail -14 log.nmb
No 0x1d name type in interpret_node_status()
received 10 names
	RM400_AF_DY(0x0)        M <ACTIVE>
	AF_DY(0x0)      <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
	RM400_AF_DY(0x20)       M <ACTIVE>
	AF_DY(0x1c)     <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
	AF_DY(0x1b)     M <ACTIVE>
	RM400_AF_DY(0x3)        M <ACTIVE>
	AF_DY(0x1e)     <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
	AF_DY(0x1d)     M <ACTIVE>
	__MSBROWSE__(0x1) <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
	RM400_AF_DY(0x1)        M <ACTIVE>
num_good_sends=0 num_good_receives=0
No 0x1d name type in interpret_node_status()

deejai>...samba/log 26>  nmblookup -M AF_DY
Added interface ip=139.25.113.10 bcast=139.25.119.255 nmask=255.255.248.0
Sending queries to 139.25.119.255
139.25.113.100 AF_DY

deejai>...samba/log 27>  nmblookup RM400_AF_DY
Added interface ip=139.25.113.10 bcast=139.25.119.255 nmask=255.255.248.0
Sending queries to 139.25.119.255
139.25.113.100 RM400_AF_DY

deejai>...samba/log 28>  nmblookup -S RM400_AF_DY
Added interface ip=139.25.113.10 bcast=139.25.119.255 nmask=255.255.248.0
Sending queries to 139.25.119.255
139.25.113.100 RM400_AF_DY
Looking up status of 139.25.113.100
No status response (this is not unusual)

deejai>...samba/log 29>  smbclient -L RM400_AF_DY -U%
Added interface ip=139.25.113.10 bcast=139.25.119.255 nmask=255.255.248.0
Got a positive name query response from 139.25.113.100 (139.25.113.100)
Server time is Mon Aug 12 10:54:47 1996
Timezone is UTC+2.0
Domain=[AF_DY] OS=[Windows NT 3.51] Server=[NT LAN Manager 3.51]

This machine has a browse list:

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	PCD_AF_DY            PCD von MR SP, Standort Mch-P 66-525
	CTGQ0788             Willi K„hler, AF DY 2
	CTGQ0802             CRGRE FGHEZ
	CTGQ0971             Envare Onlre
	CBGQ2732             Naqern Fgrepxra ZE FC 5
	RM400_AF_DY          RM400 unter Windows/NT von OEC CM SP

This machine has a workgroup list:

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------
	PBZSB                Q012R063
	QEVIR                CTGQ0069
	TVF                  TVF1
	TVFTQOK              TVFTQOK0
	VOVF                 Z61635CC
	XNF13                FPUAVPXFPUANPX
	AF_DY                RM400_AF_DY
	ZJ243                CTGQ1631
	ZJ252                CTGQ1046
	ZJ263                CTGJ0016
	BRP OF2 BF CZ        CTGQ0916
	BRP ZJ 27            CTGQ1390
	BF3                  CTGQ0709
	BFCC1                CTGQ0304
	BFCC2                CTGQ0300
	CQ414                CTGQ0566
	CQ432                CTGQ0446
	DR61                 CTGQ0830
	DR62                 CTGQ1466
	FN DP                CTGQ0364
	FQ                   CTGQ0362
	FQ CC                CTGQ0376
	FJ43                 XRYIVA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 10:51:08 BST
From: "Luke K.C. Leighton" <lkcl@pires.co.uk>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: forcing an election

P.S.  Does anyone know if there is any way I can force a Browse Master
election?  I am having problems with one Win95 machine insisting on being one
when it shouldn't be and this would be nice for debugging.
----
hi there,

you need to do an ANN_Election (nmbd \\MAILSLOT\BROWSE packet of type 8)
with zero parameters - see nameelect.c for details. if you broadcast
this packet on the subnet the Win95 machine is in then it will force
an election.

however, i think what you really want to do is to go into the windows95
config options and switch preferred master to no (this option can be
no, yes or auto).

luke

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:29:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: "J. Patrick Narkinsky" <patrick@cnu.edu>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: "real" DHCP server for Unix?

On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Torsten Eichstaedt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there a "real" DHCP server available for Unix systems?  I tried to use
> the patched bootpd (v4.3.1), but my WfW client didn't come up with it.

Try the ISC dhcpd.  ftp://ftp.fugue.com/pub

This is a pretty good DHCP server, however it's still BETA.

Patrick

> Perhaps it is just a problem with configuring the bootpd -- does anyone
> have the bootpd running with WfW and/or Win95 &/| WinNT clients?
>
> I don't want to start a bootimage from a Unix server -- I want the clients
> to configure their network via DHCP.
>
> Thanx a lot,
>
>         =|o)
>
> --
> Torsten Eichstaedt                             eMail: torsten@metaworks.de
> Internet-Support                                      support@metaworks.de
> MetaWorks GmbH,  Florinsmarkt 5, D 56068 Koblenz, phone:     +49 261 37773
>

> ------------------------------

J. Patrick Narkinsky       |
<patrick@cc.cnu.edu>       |	Over the router, through the bridge,
Comp. Systems Sr. Engineer |	past the T1, bounce off MAE-East,
CNU Computer Center        |    nothing but net.
(804)594-7180              |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 10:54:24 -0400
From: Chris Saldanha <chris@computerActive.on.ca>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Network path not found

I get "The network path was not found" on all attempts to connect to my
Samba server from WindowsNT (both NTAS and NTWS), using the browser and by
giving exact service names.

The server shows up on the lists for mapping network drives and printers,
but I always get that error. From the command-line with "net view" I get
"System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found."

The server (a NeXTSTEP 3.3 machine) is visible via TCP/IP, I can telnet to
it, ping it, etc. and it is setup OK, as far as I can see. The server can
see the NT network just fine as a client, and other NeXT machines can
connect to it with smbclient.

I tried setting up for USER level security and even SERVER security. Both
worked from smbclient on many different NeXT machines, but no change from
NT.

Why can't the NT server browse or access the Samba services?

--Chris
Chris Saldanha, Software Analyst       | 15 Capella Ct. Suite 128
computerActive Inc.                    | Nepean, ON, Canada  K2E 7X1
chris@computerActive.on.ca (NeXT/MIME) | Voice: (613)225-4824
Entrust and PGP keys on request        | FAX:   (613)225-1670
"The telephone was not invented by Alexander Graham Unitel"   -Bell Ad

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:33:18 -0400
From: "Charles O. Shefflette" <shefflet@paragon-systems.com>
To: <samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Does Samba provide 'home' directories?

> "Does Samba provide 'home' directories?"
>
> I ask this because I am wondering... if I use the syntax 'NET USE P:
/HOME'
> I should get drive P: connected to my home directory on the domain
server.

> This is according to the help I get by typing 'NET /?'.
>
> Are the directories offered by the [homes] share really home directories
or
> just directories local to one user?

Actually, if you set up a service as shown below:
  [HOMEDIR]
   comment = Home Directory
   path = %H
   read only = no
   browseable = yes
you will get a network share (as shown by browsing) of "homedir" which can
be then connected to by 'NET USE P: \\SERVER\HOMEDIR'.

This should take care of the problem. BTW, it also makes roving desktops
work!

> If the latter, then I guess this is why things like roving desktops are
not
> working (since these connect to the user's home directory).  I don't know
how
> the user's home directory is determined (the Win95 Resource Kit does not
say)
> but if there is a specific call such as GET_USER_HOME or something which
> identifies this and this call is not supported then... etc. etc.
> If Samba does not support this (and this is the case), could this be
added?

> Perhaps then roving desktops and other Win95 interface 'goodies' (I use
the
> term loosely) would work?

(see above)

> P.S.  Does anyone know if there is any way I can force a Browse Master
> election?  I am having problems with one Win95 machine insisting on being
one
> when it shouldn't be and this would be nice for debugging.

You might set your OS level to about 35 or so and "domain master = yes".
That
will make sure that samba is the master browser for the workgroup since an
election is forced whenever a browser is started.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 20:02:00 BST
From: Jim Barry <Jim.Barry@ilp.com>
Subject: Fix: File renaming bug

Hi folks,

There is a bug in Samba which has been annoying me for a very long time
so I have fixed it. When using a LFN client such as Windows 95 (and
probably when not), Samba fails an attempt to rename a file if the new
filename differs from the old filename only by case, e.g. myfile.txt ->
MyFile.TXT. This is assuming you have a smb.conf with:

[global]
  case sensitive = no
  preserve case = yes
  short preserve case = yes

which is really the only sensible choice for Windows 95/NT clients.

I've sent a patch up to samba-bugs, so hopefully it will make it into the
next release. If anybody wants the patch right now, I can supply it for
1.9.15p8 or 1.9.16p13.

Cheers,

 - Jim

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 16:00:09 +1200
From: Feng Loh <fengl@mocomnz47.mocom.co.nz>
To: Samba <samba@anu.edu.au>
Subject: NT cannot see Solaris 2.5

I have set up Samba on my Solaris 2.5., and verified that all is well.
>From the Sun box, I can see all the clients on the NT boxes.

My problem is trying to connect using File Manager to the Samba server.
I only get empty folders!!!

The smb.conf looks like this:

[unixhome]
auto services = unixhome