List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 1017
From:       samba () arvidsjaur ! anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1996-08-06 16:21:53

			    SAMBA Digest 1017

For information on unsubscribing and on what is appropriate to post to
this list see ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/lists/samba.txt

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Repost: Changing passwords from Win95
	by Jim Barry <Jim.Barry@ilp.com>
  2) sending a pizza to australia (was: Re: SAMBA digest 1012)
	by Terje Normann Marthinussen <Terje.N.Marthinussen@cc.uit.no>
  3) Slowness loading Excel files
	by Jim Barry <Jim.Barry@ilp.com>
  4) Re: CIFS workshop
	by bill@celestial.com (Bill Campbell)
  5) Samba as domain controller
	by Tim Haynes <vgis@vgis.demon.co.uk>
  6) Contacting the PDC
	by pcurtis@boris.terrapin.com
  7) stuffed alpha14!
	by "Luke K.C. Leighton" <lkcl@pires.co.uk>
  8) luke has stuffed alpha14.
	by Luke Leighton <lkcl@cb1.com>
  9)
	by Eddie Tucker <fast@ozemail.com.au>

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 96 13:48:00 BST
From: Jim Barry <Jim.Barry@ilp.com>
Subject: Repost: Changing passwords from Win95

I'm reposting this because the digest got truncated yet again. Might I
humbly suggest that people stop posting MIME messages until the list can
deal with them properly. I too dislike bird droppings in my mail.
Thankyou. Repeat message...

I just managed to set up Samba so that Windows 95 users can change their
Unix (Red Hat Linux 3.0.3) passwords with the NET PASSWORD command in a
DOS box. I added -DALLOW_CHANGE_PASSWORD in the Makefile, recompiled, and
added the following lines to smb.conf:

   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
   passwd chat = "*Current password*" %o\n \
                 "*New password*" %n\n \
                 "*New password*" %n\n \
                 "*Password changed*"

It seems to work, but the passwords get uppercased. Is there any way
around this?

Cheers,

 - Jim

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 17:00:27 +0200
From: Terje Normann Marthinussen <Terje.N.Marthinussen@cc.uit.no>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: sending a pizza to australia (was: Re: SAMBA digest 1012)

> Hi!
>
> We have been using samba for years, with satisfaction! (as soon as I know
> the way how to send pizza to Australia...)

Just for those who wonders on wether this is possible or not.
We have a pizza place here i Tromsoe, northern Norway, that have som
very good pizzas as well as a special home made oil.

Some years back some persons that was in Australia doing some work missed
this pizza too much and actually ordered a pizza from here. It was sent
by plane and everything went fine until they tried to get it through the
custom in Australia. Actually, this proved rather impossible (some
restrictions conserning importing food), so in the end, they got a
microwave oven and was allow to eat it on the "outside" of the custom.

Sorry, I have no idea at all on what the total cost of that pizza was.

Terje Marthinussen
terjem@cc.uit.no

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 96 17:05:00 BST
From: Jim Barry <Jim.Barry@ilp.com>
Subject: Slowness loading Excel files

I've just finished converting an NT box to Linux/Samba which is running
very nicely, except that users are reporting slow load times for
Microsoft Excel files. And I mean hideously slow, like several minutes.

Other than this, performance is pretty good (for a 486, anyway ;) so I
assume it is some sort of sharing/locking problem slowing things down.

I'm running Linux 2.0 and Samba 1.9.15p8. The problem occurs with both
WfWg and Win95 clients.

Anybody know how to fix things?

Cheers,

 - Jim

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 09:22:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill@celestial.com (Bill Campbell)
To: scott@laird.com
Cc: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: CIFS workshop

> I assume the CIFS workshop that Microsoft is throwing is in Redmond?
> If so, perhaps some of the other Seattle-area Samba users (and Andrew
> and Luke) would be interested in getting together and buying Andrew
> that free Pizza he keeps asking for? ;-)  I'm in Bellingham, which is
> about an hour and a half north of Seattle, but I can drive down
> without too much trouble, if someone a bit more local can organize
> something.

Andrew was going to come to the Seattle Unix Group meeting before
Microsoft screwed up the schedule.

If people are interested in getting together, and Andrew is willing,
we could get together in our class room here on Mercer Island (about
10 minutes from His Billness :-).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts
to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to
be one of the facts that needs altering.
                -- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 18:36:20 GMT
From: Tim Haynes <vgis@vgis.demon.co.uk>
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Cc: vgis@vgis.demon.co.uk
Subject: Samba as domain controller

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:32:12 -0400 (EDT) "Ian C. Blenke" <iblenke@blenke.com>
wrote:

> How difficult would it be to wrap up a small smbclient library for
> inclusion into other SMB aware applications? I'm intently looking at the
> following:
>
> - SMB<>IP address resolution
> - dynamically building DNS/Host tables would be nice (without the
> wait for NT 4.0 DNS ;)
> - an "nbtstat -A" equivalent would be helpful for troubleshooting
> (or suggest how to use nmblookup to do this :)

I set all my NT/WFW clients to resolve names using DNS - which works great
for me, but I can see why some folks still use MS's WINS kludge if they're
using DHCP.  It would be *really* nice if Samba could act as [or cooperate
with] a DNS server - taking its mappings from DNS for fixed stuff, and its
WINS tables for PCs.

> - Domain authentication
> - Incorporate existing NT network security into Unix based tools
> (using SAM database authentication for CGI based tools on a
> dedicated Solaris web server, for example)
> - Importing existing NT users as "smbpasswd" users on a Unix
> host (assimilating existing NT users) - again, for a public
> /web share (with user/group authentication)

I'm really longing for Samba to be able to act as a true PDC to NT
clients, and judging by digest 1014, this is getting close. I'd really
like to get rid of NT server once and for all, and have Samba provide
all my file/print services, including user validation via NIS.

This worries me a bit.  I see Samba as a big competitor to MS's NT
Server - giving us the important bits of NTS functionality, but in an
open manner - and for free.  I'm a little concerned that MS's latest
CIFS moves could be a ruse to kill-off NTS competitors.  Am I just
being paranoid?

--
Tim Haynes
(My own views)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:52:39 -0400
From: pcurtis@boris.terrapin.com
To: samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: Contacting the PDC

We are using in the configuration below. Basically, the master browser
on one subnet is not passing the browse list to the PDC on the other
subnet. The PDC is also the master browser. The smb.conf is below, also.

The WinNT workstation sees the domain registered hosts, ie. the PCs on
the other subnet. The Samba box is the master browser for the .32
subnet and only sees the local hosts.

In the source code, there is a routine to contact the PDC specified by
the "domain controller" parameter. However, after setting the debug
level to 4 and examining the nmbd logs, I could not find any instance
where nmbd tried to contact the PDC. (see announce_master in
nameannounce.c).

A bug or a configuration error?

Paul
pcurtis@terrapin.com

                           Configuration
 .34        .40            .34       .67      .66           .70 -> .75
------------------------------      ------------------------------
 |           |               |        |         |             |
 WinNT      Samba           +----------+     WinNT         WFW/Win95(s)
 WS        1.9.15alpha15    | Router   |     Adv Svr        (PCs)
                            +----------+
 ^            ^                                 ^             ^
 |            |                                 |             |
Logs into   smb.conf                           PDC         Log into
domain       below                                          domain

The subnet with WinNT workstation and Samba is XXX.XXX.XXX.32, the
other subnet is XXX.XXX.XXX.64, with a netmask 255.255.255.224.

                             SMB.CONF

# Base SAMBA config for Linux
[global]
  workgroup = TERRAPIN
  server string = Norlabs
  locking = yes
  strict locking = yes
  guest account = guest
  lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var
  domain controller = XXX.XXX.XXX.66
  password server = BUGS
  password level = 8
  os level = 33
  encrypt passwords = yes
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
  read prediction = yes
  case sensitive = yes
  preserve case =  no
  browsable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  status = yes
  printing = bsd
  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  load printers = yes
[FTP]
  .
  .
  .
  .

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 17:17:38 BST
From: "Luke K.C. Leighton" <lkcl@pires.co.uk>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: stuffed alpha14!

dear samba users,

yes - i did stuff alpha14, so tridge did alpha15. i misunderstood the
release procedures (trying to be too clever by half. again.)

luke

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 18:57:25 +0000 ()
From: Luke Leighton <lkcl@cb1.com>
To: samba-team@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au, samba@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
Subject: luke has stuffed alpha14.

dear all,

in my attempts to create alpha16, i accidentally called it alpha14. i am
ever so sorry about this. i am waiting for tridge to wake up in four
hours or so, and am _not_ going to attempt to sort it out in case i do
more damage.

i have however downloaded the proper 1.9.16alpha14 and the
sambas-1.9.16alpha14-1.9.16alpha15.diffs.gz patch from a mirror site to
make things easier to recreate.

..why?

lkcl@pires.co.uk - today, a stupid samba developer, for better or for
                   worse, for richer or poorer, till the death of the
                   internet do us part. sigh.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 11:38:25 +-1000
From: Eddie Tucker <fast@ozemail.com.au>
To: "'samba@anu.edu.au'" <samba@anu.edu.au>

Hi All

I am new to Samba  and am trying to compile it on my Unixware 2.03 server. When I \
perform a make on the Makefile, I receive the error. I

> undefined			first referenced
> symbol  			    in file
> crypt					password.o
> getspnam	                    password.o
> UX:ld: ERROR: SMBD:fatal error:Symbol referencing errors. No output written to smbd \
>
> *** Error Code [bu21]
> UX : make:  Error : fatal error

I have created the directories as requested and loading the software as root. Could \
you please advise what I'm doing wrong

Thanx

Edide Tucker

The Body Shop