List:       samba
Subject:    Re: [Samba] Ancient SMB client issues
From:       miles via samba <samba () lists ! samba ! org>
Date:       2024-04-12 0:03:07

Hi Anders,I solved the same problem last year. A bunch of machines with Windows NT4 \
(no USB, hehe).I set up a Samba server (4.18) and the machines in an isolated network \
with a router/firewall. The Samba server can only be reached by a couple of \
workstations from the main company networks using SMB_311. The workstations store job \
files on a Samba share, and the machines have only got read access to this share. The \
workstations can not connect to the machine network, and vice versa. The router has \
got a DHCP server for assigning local addresses to the machines. The machines can \
access the internet for diagnostics (must be activated by service technicians) \
through the router. The router WAN interface is connected to a guest network that is \
isolated from the main company networks.I chose a Mikrotik switch with RouterOS (OS \
upgrades are available for many years), as the possibilities for tweaking are almost \
unlimited. To that, very low cost, superb reliability, and excellent lifetime. The \
local server is a cheap barebone PC.The setup works perfectly.No need to fiddle \
                around with multiple Samba servers.Best regards,Peter