List:       samba
Subject:    Re: [Samba] Samba migration to AD
From:       Andrew Bartlett via samba <samba () lists ! samba ! org>
Date:       2023-08-31 21:21:15

Not really answering your question, but as context:

For a period of time, newer windows versions refused to join to Samba,
as they used a WMI method (which we don't support, being DCOM) to work
out what version we were.

We told MS, and they fixed that, which was nice of them.

Since then, we have also worked around the issue by being able to
increase our functional level preparation (which was part of the
blocker), and indeed now claim (not finished, but claim enough for the
migration) to be FL 2012 and FL 2016.

I certainly would first do an in-place or network-join upgrade of Samba
to as new as version as your systems can support.

Andrew Bartlett

On Thu, 2023-08-31 at 23:13 +0200, Trenta sis via samba wrote:
> Thanks on wiki appears
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD
>
>  I understand that this can be used to migrate fist 2008r2 and the to
> newer versions windows?
> Any special requirement for initial join between 2008r2 and samba
> (specific min version required to allow this join?)
>
> Anybody has migrated with a successful result?
>
> Thanks
>
> Missatge de Fabio Fantoni <
> fabio.fantoni@m2r.biz
> > del dia dl., 28
> d'ag. 2023 a les 13:38:
> > Il 27/08/2023 14:01, Trenta sis via samba ha scritto:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I need to evaluate a migration of two samba DC to a native AD
> > > controller, reading wiki, appear that can join to windows 2008,
> > > but I
> > > can't find a full complete migration steps, anybody has
> > > experience
> > > about this migration from samba 4.4.5 to AD DC?
> > > What are the key on this migration?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > Hi, I did some tests in latest years to migrate domains with samba
> > AD
> > domain controllers to windows AD domain controller.
> >
> > Near all tests was adding windows 2008R2 before but all failed,
> > tried to
> > follow some different howtos (major part is near the same) but
> > windows
> > always fails to complete the first synchronization and even if I
> > enabled
> > and synced SYSVOL manually the issue on windows persist and also
> > trying
> > to force remove of samba DC and add other windows DC I've never
> > been
> > able to get a consistent one (of windows DC).
> >
> > small note, before there is to create two attributes
> > msDS-SDReferenceDomain in the "cn=configuration" (not all howto
> > tell
> > them), in this for example that is also a script to do easy (is
> > possible
> > to do also manually with "ADSI edit" from windows tools like what I
> > did):
> >
> > https://samba.tranquil.it/doc/en/samba_advanced_methods/samba_add_windows_active_directory.html
> >

> > now that next samba version (4.19) add more functionality about
> > domain
> > feature level I also tried to increase it for try adding directly
> > windows 2012r2 and windows 2019 servers, but I had 2 errors for
> > now, one
> > reported and fixed and one report just now (however this is quite
> > normal
> > with new version still in "rc" and a newly added feature, FL 2016
> > is
> > also partial). I think issues samba side can be solved,it's just a
> > matter of time, what which unfortunately are more difficult are the
> > windows ones.
> >
> > Has anyone had success migrating from samba to windows and know how
> [...]
Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions