List:       samba
Subject:    [Samba] Performance Problems - DNS Not Responding
From:       David Minard <david () scem ! uws ! edu ! au>
Date:       2015-07-30 13:01:46

G'day All,

	We're having performance problems on our production Samba4 AD.  We have 4 DCs - a \
"master" and a DC on each of our three campuses.  All running 4.0.25 on Centos6.

	We're seeing that on the "master" when one of the Samba processes uses 100% of the \
cpu it's using, the DNS fails.  We're using the internal DNS.  This is causing havoc \
when machines try to register themselves to AD - it fails.  We set up heaps of VMs on \
the fly to support classes.  At times 50% of these fail due to the DNS not \
responding.

	Have others seen this sort of thing, and what did they do to fix it?

	I've seen the samba wiki article on changing the DNS from Internal to bind.  I'm \
thinking that I need to do this so the DNS part of things is taken away from an \
extremely busy Samba server.  How safe is it to do this?  I will of course back the \
server up (snapshot).  If something goes wrong, will that stuff up the other DCs, and \
if I revert the server back, will the other DCs be happy?  We can't break things to \
fix one issue.

Cheers,
David.
believed to be clean.