figured it out. i needed "printcap = lpstat". there is this website that takes you step by step how to setup a print server on linux that works with cups and samba. was written for novices...=) http://www.buberel.org/linux/cups-samba.php thanks for all of yall's help, -- christopher On Thursday 15 May 2003 03:51 pm, Joel Hammer wrote: > Well, I think you will have to go on something besides noise in the printer > to trouble shoot this thing. > > I don't know a thing about cups. I gave up on it because it was too > complicated for me. lprng works fine. > > The print process in samba is very simple. The windows client sends the > preformatted or filtered job to the spool directory on the samba server > (the path parameter.) Then samba invokes the server printing command. With > cups, the commands are hidden from you, which doesn't make this problem any > easier, it seems. > > SO, I would try this. > > Make printing = lprng > Make your printing command = echo "the print job is %s" > /tmp/signal > > Then try to print the job with the cups command, whatever that is. > > > When you say you send a test page, this is a problem. A "test page" if > generated by the printer installation program may be sent to a special > queue, not the queue you send your other jobs to. Yes, I know, this > is crazy but.... > On my lexmark the test page, a complicated binary file > just for this printer, went to a raw queue, whereas the > real print jobs got sent to a postscript queue. Go figure. > > Joel > > On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:52:38PM -0500, christopher j bottaro wrote: > > > There is a path parameter in your share definition. That is where the > > > print job is sent from the client. > > > You could make: > > > printing command = echo "tried to print %s" > /tmp/signal > > > And see what is in signal. > > > > > > %s will not show the whole path name, just the print job name, since > > > the path name in the share is assumed. > > > > > > Joel > > > > ok, when i try to print a windows test page, sometimes (not all the time) > > the printer makes noise, but nothing comes out, and something is made in > > /var/spool/cups, but not in /var/spool/samba. if the printer doesn't > > makes noise and is silent, something is still made in /var/spool/cups, > > but not /var/spool/samba. > > > > > If you are using cups, why not tell samba about it? > > > In smb.conf, try > > > > > > printing = cups > > > printcap name = cups > > > load printers = yes > > > > my "printing" is already set to cups, but i changed "printcap name" like > > you said, but no good results...=/ > > > > > with problem 1 you might like to try making writeable = yes and > > > perhaps if you're not concerned about security put public = yes as > > > well.... the other too i've no idea sorry. only the first one as i've > > > just tried to do it as well.. ;) > > > > i tried making it writeable, but it didn't do anything...=/ > > > > thanks again for the help, > > -- christopher -- To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the instructions: http://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba