List:       rxtx
Subject:    Re: [Rxtx] reconnecting to serial device
From:       Trent Jarvi <tjarvi () qbang ! org>
Date:       2006-01-19 4:38:44

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Adam Walsh wrote:

> Trent Jarvi wrote:
>> With the Port Ownership, I never really looked at that beyond putting it
>> in.  With rxtx, if you can open the file, it's not owned.  The Ownership
>> code is largely unverified.  Rxtx uses lockfiles to work well with other
>> programs outside of Java.  It would be interesting to go through and
>> get  PORT_OWNERSHIP_REQUESTED working.  It just hasnt itched anyone enough
>> to look.
>
> Does it use lockfiles for win32? I seem to remember seeing a note in some
> code somewhere saying that it didn't. I'll have a dig around anyway and see
> what I can find.

I'm not a win32 guy but from my observations ('forced' for $) the w32
kernel handles this.  Win32 is not a problem.

Actually while looking at w32 I saw it does some neat things.  They had a
really great guy doing serial programming.  I had to look at w95, 98, nt,
xp, .. it was sad watching it slowly degrade.  It is still decent though.

It is very different from POSIX termios but early on it was _very_
respectable at the rs232 layer.

--
Trent Jarvi
tjarvi@qbang.org