List:       rxtx
Subject:    [Rxtx] Re: RXTX ..
From:       Trent Jarvi <taj () www ! linux ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-01-24 16:43:57

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Wayne Gemmell wrote:

> On Monday 24 January 2005 17:53, you wrote:
> > Glad to hear it works.
> >
> > mkinstalldirs is not part of the rxtx compile/install.  If there was
> > another error you saw while running the above while java was in your path
> > and or JAVA_HOME was set, we would be interested in hearing about it.
> Well I thought it worked... Heres the answers to your questions first.
>
> I noticed one or two things in the configure script
>
> [wayne@Wuler] ./configure
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> configure: WARNING: Trying libtool.  If the following fails install libtool
> checking for gcc... gcc
>
> I don't know why it would come up as x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.
>
> snip,snip...
>
> checking os.name  Linux
> checking os.arch  amd64
> checking java.vendor  Blackdown Java-Linux Team
> checking java.version  1.4.2-01
> checking os.version  2.6.9-gentoo-r14
>
>        WARNING:  Kernel include files do not match the current kernel
>
> configure: WARNING: using JAVA_HOME environmental variable
> adjusted java.home is /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> config.status: creating config.h
> config.status: executing depfiles commands
>
> Nothing important, just unexpected...
>
> I've reinstalled it and the program just dies at the following section of
> code.
>
>  readBuffer = new byte[20];
>  inputStream.read(readBuffer);
>  System.out.println(new String(readBuffer));
>
> more specificaly the line
>  inputStream.read(readBuffer);
>
> There are no errors, it just dies. when I run serialDemo I press connect and
> it dies with the comment killed. :(
>
> Any ideas?

The various information about your system is correct.  The
"unknown-linux-gnu" is just how GNU auto tools report things.  The other
information is extracted from Java.  Header file warnings are given when
an exact match to the running kernel is not found.  Kernel headers varying
is almost always harmless.

JAVA_HOME overrides java found in $PATH so the warning is to remind people
that this is happening.

It sounds like something is wrong with your setup.  I know gentoo is
agressive about making changes but dont know if this is the exact problem:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0407.1/0915.html

It sounds like Java is getting a signal. Perhaps a signal related to RXTX.
But when this happens Java is unexpectedly dying.  Linux has gone through
tremendous changes in threading/... and sometimes that can really come
back and bite people.

Thats a guess at this point.  I'll try the SerialDemo tonight as that
should be something I can reproduce the problems with if its not a kernel
issue.  You could try another kernel too.

--
Trent Jarvi
taj@www.linux.org.uk