List:       rxtx
Subject:    Re: RXTX for JDK 1.4
From:       Trent Jarvi <taj () hex ! linuxgrrls ! org>
Date:       2002-07-28 14:57:27

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Uncle George wrote:

> I have tested my software with jdk1.x.x. But there was a mem leak with
> JDK1.3 compression, so javasoft suggested that i use the jdk1.4 beta.
> This appeared to have worked.
>
> But on a road trip, where I use the real serial port, rather than a log
> file to feed data into the program, there were no comm ports to be
> found.  After an hour later, I tried the jdk1.3.x port, and the comm
> ports were found.
>
> does rxtx support jdk1.4? or does JDK1.4 support comm.jar?  Or do I need
> to do some majic to support both 1.3 & 1.4 comm protocols?
> ( for linux/i386 )

Uncle George:

Which specific JDK are you using?  I can take a quick look at whats going
on.

The IBM JDK has been shipping something of a comm.jar.  Last time I took
a look it was remapping /dev/ttyS0 to COM1 and such.  That could be what
you are running into.

Mixing IBM/Sun comm.jar and rxtx 1.5 would be a bad thing.  rxtx 1.4 is
intended to work with comm.jar.  1.5 is a replacment for comm.jar.

Interesting to hear about the mem leaks with JDK 1.3.  I had problems with
it also (Mainly on win32 though).

Same Uncle George that did the Blackdown Alpha JDK/Linux work?