List:       rwhois
Subject:    Re: 1.5 Client
From:       Michael Mealling <michael () bailey ! dscga ! com>
Date:       1998-03-18 15:50:39

Steve Atkins said this:
> > Dang... any chance at someone writing a C client in the future?  It
> > would be nice to have something that talked both whois and rwhois,
> > and intelligently at that.
> >
> > Sure would be nice to say:
> >
> >   rwhois 204.202.128.40
> >
> > or
> >
> >   rwhois abc.com
> >
> > and have it "do the right thing" using the "well known" whois servers
> > as appropriate if nothing is found in the rwhois heirarchy.
>
> I've been looking at adding rwhois support to the whois utils
> I have (for *nix & windows) but have been put off by the variety
> of rwhois protocols to choose from....
>
> Is 1.5 a reasonable protocol to target, or 2.0?

2.0 is not going to be implemented in its current draft form. Instead
it's moving into something called METAD (MIME Enabled Textually Accessed
Directories) which is a merger of RWhois, Whois++ with a liberal amount
of MIME-DIR added to taste. Go ahead and target 1.5.

-MM

Michael Mealling	| 505 Huntmar Park Drive       | Phone:  (703)742-0400
Sr. Research Engineer   | Herndon, VA 22070	       | Fax:    (703)742-9552
Network Solutions	| <URL:http://www.netsol.com>  | michaelm@rwhois.net