List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    [ruby-talk:00149] Re: inability to load extension modules in 1.2, c
From:       Clemens Hintze <c.hintze () gmx ! net>
Date:       1998-12-27 11:02:35

On 27 Dec, Julian Fondren wrote:

> Ok.. 1.1d9 worked with no problems, and no significant or relevent changes
> to my operating system happened since then when I upgraded ruby to 1.2 -
> With a normal ./configure, make, and make install trying to load an
> extension library, (for instance, socket.so) there is an error displaying
> the line where the extension is attempted to load, a LoadError is given,
> and then the _exact_ path where the particular library exists is given in
> the error claiming that the lib does not exist. I then compiled ruby with
> only the --with-static-linked-ext, and once again ruby was compiled
> without error or significant warning - now ruby just coredumps immediatly
> upon being loaded. This really, truly puts a kink in my ruby activities.
>
> Thank you.

Please perform a "ldd miniruby", "ldd ruby" and "ldd socket.so" in the
corresponding directories. Furthermore it probably would helpful to see
the whole output of the configure script and of the make run. Then what
was the complete output as you have tried to start ruby?

It may be that "socket.so" tries to load another shared lib (.so file)
which cannot be loaded due to absence or wrong version. Ruby only tries
to load socket.so, and if that fails it will claim
"No such file to load -- %s".

With the ldd commands above you will see, what libs should be loaded by
socket.so, miniruby and ruby. Then you can check, whether all that libs
exist or not.

Good luck!

Ciao,
Cle.