List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: Optimizing Opal output for size
From:       hmdne <hmdne () airmail ! cc>
Date:       2021-11-27 1:03:29

Well - it can generate JS on server, but also on client (because it's
able to compile itself).

In general it's not tied to anything. Can be used as a CLI tool,
integrated with Sprockets or Rails. Or even directly with Tilt or Rack.
Or you can also generate JavaScript using a rake task.

It's compatible with a browser, which is the primary target, but is also
compatible with NodeJS, GJS, QuickJS, to name a few. You can use
`opal-repl` CLI tool (by default on NodeJS) which is similar to `irb`
but runs on Opal instead of MRI.

I made a zoo of integrations here:
https://github.com/opal/opal-browser/tree/master/examples/integrations
(I write a production app usingdynamic-roda-roda-sprockets
<https://github.com/opal/opal-browser/tree/master/examples/integrations/dynamic-roda-roda-sprockets>)

For Rails there is https://github.com/opal/opal-rails/

There is a big integration with Rails & React available:
https://hyperstack.org/

In general our aim is to allow you to write a complex website with not a
single line of JS.