List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: gui, tk, etc
From:       Hidetoshi NAGAI <nagai () ai ! kyutech ! ac ! jp>
Date:       2018-08-07 9:39:57

Hmm...

From: botp <botpena@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: gui, tk, etc (was: [ANN] 2018 Call for Grant Proposals)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:30:23 +0800

> when we share it we make sure that they have tk/tcl installed in their
> client pc.
> the rest may be handled by a simple script. or maybe, the script will
> install tk itself if it senses absence; but then we may need admin
> permission.
> such pain indeed for fat clients.

Is it the problem that is resolved if Ruby's tcltklib.so includes
all Tcl/Tk environment (works without other Tcl/Tk install)?
My experimental work, Ruby/Tk-Kit, may be able to create such a library.
It is a very old project, and now, freezed because it had few requiests.
At 2010, it worked on Linux and Windows. The sample binary exists at
< https://www.dumbo.ai.kyutech.ac.jp/~nagai/RubyTk/?Ruby%2FTk-Kit >.
You can embed an init script to the generated library.
So, at loading the binary, you can start your Ruby/Tk application
by the init script.

Now, the project is not developed. But if you want see the dirty codes,
you can get the files on the working directory at the following URL.
< https://www.dumbo.ai.kyutech.ac.jp/~nagai/RubyTk-Kit_20111224.tar.gz >

--
Hidetoshi NAGAI (nagai@ai.kyutech.ac.jp)
Department of Artificial Intelligence, Kyushu Institute of Technology