List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: From Rails to what and why?
From:       Xavier Noria <fxn () hashref ! com>
Date:       2017-07-07 15:23:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Andy Jones <Andy.Jones@jameshall.co.uk>
wrote:

> btw i think most of my problems were due to my system designing
> incompetence. i think Rails and its ecosystem are > too magical and often
> misguide programmers into lazyness.
>
> One thousand times this.  Even if you have no intention of moving away
> from Rails, try writing something small in a bare-bones library like
> Sinatra or Camping  or Cuba or Ramaze (or ... take your pick, there are
> loads of them).  You are almost certain to come away with a deeper
> understanding that you can use in your regular work.

I started doing web programming professionally in year 2000, as part of the
team that wrote the first online store of Fnac Spain. I came just out of
the math faculty, no CS background, just some amateurish previous interest
in computer programming. We wrote servlets by hand back then, and there was
no Hibernate either, just bare JDBC and SQL.

J2EE abstracted a problem I didn't understand, I didn't fully understand
what was really a session, I just had an object that somehow persisted data
across requests. I didn't really know HTTP, etc.

It wasn't until I read O'Reilly's "CGI Programming in Perl" that I started
to understand. In CGI programming you had raw HTTP and environment
variables, and that's it, you're on your own basically and need to grok
that stuff. Then I understood what J2EE was abstracting for me.

I have always thought that while Rails has the rare virtue to be
approachable by beginners, in reality, the way I see it, Rails is a Formula
1 for seasoned developers. Experienced people that know what is being
abstracted, experienced people who know SQL and understand what Active
Record does, that value the ton of security measures builtin across the
framework, etc. You know what you have to do, and you take Rails and fly
like the wind.