List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: String capacity
From:       Colin Bartlett <colinb2r () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2017-04-03 20:24:41

On 3/20/17, Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> wrote:
> Samuel Williams <space.ship.traveller@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have another question about the MRI source code. Perhaps it's just
>> me, but the indentation seems completely haphazard.
>>
>> Some places it's spaces. Some places its tabs. Sometimes its both for
>> no obvious reason, e.g.
>
> Officially, I think it's mixed tabs spaces, hard tabs for 8
> columns, otherwise 4 spaces.  AFAIK this is the default for GNU
> Emacs  It's documented in the the bugs.ruby-lang.org wiki
> somewhere and I've seen this style used in other projects before
> I looked at Ruby.

Is this the link you're thinking of?
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki/DeveloperHowto
coding style:
    indent
        4 for C
        2 for Ruby
    tab/space
        Do not use TABs in ruby codes ruby-dev:19388
        Use TAB instead of 8 SPs in C. (Emacs's default style)

Although I - quite possibly erroneously - recall reading a slightly
expanded version of that somewhere.