List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: [ANN] Latinum, a library for money, currencies, general resources, etc
From:       Samuel Williams <space.ship.traveller () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-08-19 15:40:24

Let me first say that the Money gem is a fine piece of work in the sense
that it exists and people use it.

Many of my motivations came from that gem, seeing where I thought it had
deficiencies, and thinking about how I wanted to deal with Money in my data
model. Some of the original ideas behind Latinum were discussed here:
https://github.com/RubyMoney/money/issues/195

My gut feeling is that the Money gem is over designed and under delivers on
critical parts.

I don't feel it has a clean set of abstractions for dealing with resources
and I didn't like the use of global Currency objects. This is a fundamental
part of Latinum, the `Latinum::Resource` value type which has a decimal
amount and a face name (e.g. USD).

At the time, I also felt that it wasn't obvious how to sum up Money
instances. Do you need a zero value? The answer to this in my case was
`Latinum::Collection` which allows you to aggregate resources and compute
totals.

Finally the Money gem is big, pulling in quite a few external dependencies.
I wanted something small and simple, flexible and modular.

Since I had some ideas about what I wanted, I decided to implement it. Over
the years, it has proven useful in several open source and commercial
projects.

Thanks for your interest.

Kind regards,
Samuel